SFG Design Tool

tmvincaJuly 9, 2012

I've been lurking around this sight and forum as I get ready to transform my lawn into an edible garden. I thought I saw a link to a garden plot design tool, but I can't seem to find it. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snibb(Salt Lake City)

tmvinca...I think it might exist-I've seen it a few times in years past. I guess my question is, why would you want it? Your fingers are easy to use and are free! When I saw the designer tool I just thought it was another way to spend money for something that's not needed. I think I've got a couple of pictures in my gallery that show how easy it is to use your two fingers to plant. You might have to scroll through a few pictures to get there though. I hope it gives you some ideas-and saves you some money in the meantime

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 11:37AM
howelbama(7 NJ)

Snibb, I'm pretty sure tm is looking for software to help him/her design their garden layout, not actually plant their seeds lol...

Tm, there are several software applications out their to help you create your layout. I'm not sure of the names, but just google garden planner or something like that and I'm sure a bunch will come up. Excel works pretty well, as does graph paper and a pencil. :)

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 2:30AM
tmvinca

Thanks very much. Yes, I was looking for a layout tool. I thought I'd seen one associated with this site, but excel will work fine too.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 10:38AM
yolos - z 7b/8a Ga.

Here are a couple of garden planners. Some are free and some are free for 30 days and then a small fee. Some have the ability to use Square Foot Gardening options (growveg.com).
http://www.growveg.com/gardenplanner/gardenplanner.html#
www.sfgplanner.com
http://www.gardeners.com/Kitchen-Garden-Planner/kgp_home,default,pg.html

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 8:37PM
LilBlossom(5)

I'm a bit late to the party here, but I got the design tool from territorial seeds. It's $25/annually and $40 for 2 years. I really like the way I can switch between square foot gardening and 'conventional' gardening. For me, it has helped plan out my garden, as well as it's fun to play around with on cold winter nights. :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ for the garden planner

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 9:53PM
red_48

How about SketchAndCalc.com?

Its free to use and can calculate the square foot area and perimeter of any irregular shape you care to draw. I think it supports metric measurements too?

I have a Pro license and use the image upload / Google Maps option to trace around ariel photos of gardens to calculate materials etc.

Very handy indeed.

Here is a link that might be useful: SketchAndCalc - The Area of Irregular Shapes you Draw

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 6:50PM
More Discussions
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
Vining plants and selection for beginner.
So glad to have found this resource! I am starting...
GreenFox
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
Skinny yam harvest
Hi everyone, If anyone can share some wisdom about...
ashita
SFG drip system
As I ponder building my boxes and irrigation I am considering...
tedeboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™