Best SFG size for 200 square foot space

jwaterskiJuly 14, 2014

I have a space that's 20 feet by 10 feet and I plan to build a few square foot boxes in that space. I am new to SFG so I was wondering what would be the ideal size SFG to work with? I was thinking maybe a few 4X4 boxes... or would a few 8X2 be better? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcstoehr

I would make two 4x20' boxes with a 2' path down the middle. 200 square feet isn't alot so you'll want to maximize bed area versus paths. Making 20' long boxes is more problematic, but I would be trying hard to not waste planting space. This is assuming that if you do this you will still have access to the outside edges, but I don't really know that. If you don't, then you would have to do all of the bed maintenance from the center, which you may or may not find acceptable.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 11:57AM
jocoyn

With my beds I found I can capitalize on the aisle between the beds. My garden gets a lot of light though and I am not doing that "across the board" ....last bed has a piece of goat fence over the top and has small watermelons--but it would work for butternuts etc. I am doing more trellising as I go along....still have to be careful about light.

We built beds that are 3 x 8 inside - I know 4 is recommended but we used plans. Came up with the tops ourselves and they are giving all kinds of possibilities for trellising, and covering (like using shade cloth). I have had more sun than I bargained for and found on really hot days hanging shade cloth over some of the plants is not a bad thing.

Honestly, we made our aisles big enough for a garden cart but I think they are wider than we needed and we could have gained some space by tightening up. 2 feet makes sense. figure out how much you need to comfortably access the inside of the bed.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 6:35AM
Ellen1959

jocoyn your garden looks beautiful!

What plans did you use...how high are your beds and materials used?

More pictures please?

Bookmark   September 19, 2014 at 3:14PM
zensojourner

3' is a good width, IMO. I can't really get to the middle of a 4' bed, and I'm too old and rickety to be trying to balance on a 2x6 or 2x8 "bridge" to get in there.

When I was younger I thought an 18" path between beds was plenty. I have a new outlook these days though, LOL!

Bookmark   October 1, 2014 at 3:03AM
More Discussions
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
Bush bean spacing
I was reading in the Sq. foot gardening book that the...
israelithyme
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
Probably A Dumb Question But
My backyard in AZ is entirely gravel/rocks and pavers....
tascer
Sponsored Products
X-Leg Side Table
$159.99 | zulily
Modern Polished Chrome Shower Faucet Set
TheBathOutlet
Reinforced End Table
$126.99 | Dot & Bo
Artecnica Phrena 2 Table Lamp / Pendant Light
ModernistLighting.com
Wire mesh four square cubbies w/wooden top
Origin Crafts