What is best tomato to grow in Lower AL?

kearnspiJanuary 8, 2009

The Mobile Register put out something a few years ago that gave the name (one I've never heard of) of a tomato that they say is the best to grow in this part of AL. I can't find the info now and was wondering if someone could tell me the best tomato to grow in Lower Alabama.

Thanks,

Polly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

FAIK there is no ONE best variety. Theoretically you should be able to grow just about any variety you want to. Tomatoes are tropical fruits after all. ;)

From what I have read you have more heat and humidity to deal with than those further north but you can also plant much earlier than most and so get fruit set before the worst of the heat sets in. Any good anti-fungus control spray program will prevent the disease problems associated with the high humidity.

Alabama Extension Service has a great program and tons of info for local home gardeners so why not explore all the info at their website linked below. They stress early planting times and Celebrity is one variety they recommend but they also say that many other varieties will work very well in south Alabama.

Good luck.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Ext. Services

Bookmark   January 8, 2009 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Georges chocolate tomato?
Anyone heard of Georges chocolate tomato?
skyblue52
Ideas for paste varieties
I plan grow san marzano.; but need to think about a...
gridgardener
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
topping off tomato plants?
My heirloom tomato plants are usually tall and robust...
blaferby
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™