help! termites eating my seedlings!

bluemater(z5 IL)May 5, 2010

AHHHHHH! Termites are in my raised bed and they are killing my heirloom seedlings!

Has anyone had this problem?? What can I use that won't poison my soil and plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Termites chew on dead wood, not live plants.

Can you post pictures of your varmints?

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 11:44PM
bluemater(z5 IL)

jean...that's what I thought too! I will be taking pictures but google it and you'll see I'm not alone...

The termite extermination company that's coming on Monday said they'll eat any plant...

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 9:06AM
raisemybeds(SouthernCT)

I have to doubt that. I just disposed of rotted wood from a raised tomato bed that had collapsed from termite damage over the Winter. It was a-crawlin' with them little boogers. I had been growing lush tomato plants in there for years and fully expect the other beds made at about the same time from the same material will similarly give out this season or the next, and termites will be present. Also want to note there were no termites in the soil that I saw when I shoveled all of it away from the site. They were very visible in the half-rotted timbers, though, and seemed content to remain ensconced there. I have zero concern about the termites in wood bothering my plants. Remember, exterminators are selling extermination services. Your fears are good for business.

Bookmark   May 25, 2010 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
Tomato Pests & Diseases
Home-grown tomatoes are a source of pride, a thing...
priyaspageo
Help Pls! Tomato branches falling off
Hi all - A few weeks ago I started to notice a marginal...
jhamoud
What is this?
What is causing this on my tomatoes? Pests? Bugs?
kyleindebary
Tomato Leaves Turning Blackish
I planted my tomatoes from seeds two months ago. They...
tomatodad
Tomato Wilt
Which Heirloom varieties are wilt resistant
oldgardenguy_zone6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™