Bone Dry Mix

rjingaJuly 3, 2009

It seems that no matter how much I water (set sprinkler the other night for over an hour, and already the containers are bone dry. so dry they are pulling away from the sides, needless to say the strawberries I have in there are all dying.

I just cant water these 3 beds every day, so I guess I'm going to come up with another plan.

Any suggestions?

My mix is a combo of compost, potting mix, perlite, and spagnum peat moss.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ribbit32004

Did you soak your peat moss before you mixed it in? That stuff tends to need to be totally saturated to do it's job right.

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 7:29PM
rjinga

I guess I should have added that this is NOT a new bed, it's 2 years in use now. And I did add more compost and potting mix before planting this year. I'm considering moving it all out and starting over.

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 9:49PM
greenbean08_gw(PNW)

You might try giving it a thorough watering (make sure it's moist down in the root zone) and mulching with something that will break down prety easily like straw, shredded leaves, etc. Maybe that will help hold the moisture in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 9:56PM
ribbit32004

rjinga, my beds are drying out very fast as well with this heat and humidity. I can only imagine it's worse in middle GA. Perhaps it's just going to be a summer thing?

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 7:22AM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

I'm with greenbean. If you are overhead watering, switch to a soaker hose or something and mulch.

Dan

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 10:58AM
medontdo(8)

tabor and i filled all of the beds with straw, and the bottom of them are staying moist, but of course, we have been throwing worms in there all the time. LOL we go out and turn over logs, rocks and whatever we can to find them. in the winter, i'm going to add the cornmeal to the beds so they will make lots of babies!! (in the spring) LOL of course this all in my mind, how it will work!! **grin** LOL

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 11:48PM
More Discussions
Safe insecticide: Olive Oil, Dish Soap, Water
I'm going to try a safe insecticide first before going...
travelsfo
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
Skinny yam harvest
Hi everyone, If anyone can share some wisdom about...
ashita
Using Miracle Gro Potting Mix in a Square Foot Bed
Turns out that courtesy of Costco, I can fill my bed...
GardeningHeidi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™