Need help identifying what is killing my plants

sbsliderJune 21, 2014

stems. I have also observed small black droppings beneath the plant, but have not seen any bugs. The density of the plants is high which prevents getting a good look. I read through a tomato book I have but could not really identify the problem. I will also say the plants are in pots which have peat, vermiculite and the other small glass rock. My home made equivalent of a earthbox.

The plants are on the south side of my house, and get full sun at least 708 hours a day. The house blocks early morning and late afternoon sun this time of year. I would appreciate any tips on slowing or removing this problem, as my tomatoes are big and would love to have a full season worth.

thanks, Matt

the first picture shows the dead leaves and spots on the stems

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbslider

the next picture shows healthy leaves

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 12:05AM
sbslider

a picture of wilted new leaves

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 12:08AM
sbslider

somehow the beginning of my message was cut off. As the pictures above show, the bottom leaves are dying off. I have removed most of the dead leaves, There are also grey and darker spots on the stems, which are pictured above. Would love some help identifying this problem as well as solutions. I read through a book I have on tomatoes and could not identify the disease with one in particular. As noted above,the plants are in pots which have peat, vermiculite and the other small glass rock. My home made equivalent of a earthbox.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 12:13AM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

sbslider, can you post a photo of the in-between stages: a nice close-up of what it looks like between the healthy plant stage and the totally dried-up leaves and moldy-looking stems stage?

I added a thread on GW's Growing Tomatoes forum (which gets much more traffic than this one) so hopefully you'll get a knowledgeable answer soon!

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 1:21PM
fusion_power

Looks like it may be gray leaf spot. Are your plants kept in a very humid environment?

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 8:44PM
sbslider

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I live about 3-4 miles as the crow flies from the ocean, but there is a hill between me and there. I don't know what the typical relative humidity is but the plants are outside and exposed to the prevailing breeze that blows daily.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
What's term for woven plants? Can tomatoes be woven?
In landscaping I've seen pictures of plants that are...
albert_135
Sick tomato plants
Some of my tomatoes look really sick. Is this a disease?...
JaneMacG
Tomato Leaf curl
I'm having problems with my Beefsteak tomatoes. The...
DoctorAche
Help Identifying Problem
I need help identifying what's happening with my tomato...
drhoads
Mysterious disappearing Tomatoes
I'm in Richmond, VA (23233, if that helps). I moved...
Lorahv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™