Purple trees?

tennesseekathy(7)April 9, 2006

Does anyone know what the purple trees are that are blooming all over here in East Tennessee right now? I use to know but I don't remember what they are called. And they are not in any of the books I have. Does anyone know of some good books for looking up plants and trees in East Tennessee?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

They are redbuds.

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 11:57PM
tennesseekathy(7)

Thanks. You just confirmed what I thought, but when I said redbud trees first that just didn't seem right to me as they are more purple looking. I guess my first instinct was right.

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 10:40PM
katiedidcottage(z7 TN / Chattanooga)

Now I know what redbuds are and how they look and they do look kind of purple, but right now (the first and second week of April) in western Tennessee, I've seen a couple of trees that are blooming that look really PURPLE. I am talking a light grape sucker color, light lavender color and not the pink-violet color of redbuds. I wonder if they could be that tree that I've seen advertised as the fastest growing tree ever or something like that. The one tree I see almost everyday is close to our railroad track in front of a home builder's store front and is about 15-20 feet tall. Has anyone seen one of these and can anyone identify it? I'll try to get a photo of one if I can.
Katie

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 12:36PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Katie: Any chance you could post a pic of the tree you are talking about?

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 7:21PM
Soeur(z6b TN)

I suspect you're seeing Paulownia tomentosa, Princess Tree or Empress Tree. It's a chinese tree that has spread readily in the SE US, often seen in waste places and by roadsides. It is fast growing, with bloom scapes of clustered lavender purple blooms that are reminiscent of Catalpa.

If you google Paulownia you'll see a mix of websites, some extolling the virtues of the species as a fast growing timber tree, and others focusing on its invasive qualities.

Check it out at the site below and see if that's what you're seeing.

Marty

Here is a link that might be useful: Paulownia tomentosa

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 9:18PM
katiedidcottage(z7 TN / Chattanooga)

Yep, that looks like the two that are near me. Someone who lives behind me has one and there is one in our small town. Thanks for identifying it!

Katie

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 9:29AM
juniper1_bellsouth_net

Just drove down 75 through Tennessee and fell in love with the purple oriental looking trees. Any suggestions as to what it is? It was everywhere along the highway. I have a picture on my computer but it wont copy & paste to here. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
questions from new TN gardener
I'm not a new gardener but new Z7, southwest TN. Will...
ryseryse_2004
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
Reclaiming my yard
Hello I'm a new homeowner and new to the forums. I'm...
lwash931
Amaryllis in Tennessee
Can Amaryllis stay in the ground near Nashville TN?...
ryseryse_2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™