Use of fungicides, etc

colmlt(z6 Maryland)June 15, 2005

I would like to know when one should treat tomato plants with fungicides, etc. My plants seem very healthy. I bought a product called Fungicide by Garden Safe. It is supposed to have a fungicide, insecticide, and miticide in it. Should I spray them now? What other information should I know? I appreciate all of your feedback.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farkee(Florida)

Hi Colmlt, I believe the product you have is Neem as it is from Garden Safe.

For use as a insecticide and miticide I would use when problems develop not preventatively.

For a fungicide I think answers may vary.
1) Begin using when conditions favor disease development.

2) Begin when the VERY first signs of a disease are discovered.

3) Begin when fruit begins to set as that is the usually start of disease development. (or a tad before fruit set)

4) Some people begin from the moment they put their plants out but I believe , in the case of daconil, this would put you over the maximum seasonal total application rate if it rains alot and you are frequently reapplying.

If I was using neem , I don't think I would wait until signs of foliar leaf spots so if fruit is setting I would begin spraying now according to the label directions. (by the way, I am curious, just what does the label recommend?) Best wishes , farkee

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 4:29PM
tomn66

Hi Farkee,
You mentioned that Daconil has a maximum seasonal total application rate. Where would you find this information? The instructions I have don't mention this.

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 7:44PM
farkee(Florida)

The maximum seasonal total application rate is quite high--
I read it on the back of a pre-mixed bottle of Daconil available in Lowes. It said for tomatoes it was 15. But since you asked and as I don't have the bottle I am not sure if that means limit to spraying 15 times or if it related to some other measurement like 15 pounds per acre or something like that. I thought it meant 15 times but I could be wrong. I am sure you can use daconil frequently ( every 7 to 10 days or something like that) but I am guessing ,like everything else, there is bound to be some recommended level as to how many times to spray during a season.

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 12:46AM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

4) Some people begin from the moment they put their plants out but I believe , in the case of daconil, this would put you over the maximum seasonal total application rate if it rains alot and you are frequently reapplying.

And I just read your followup remark as well.

There is no limit that I know of and I think the comment on that bottle might well have to do with the fact that it's pre-mixed. Diluted products often have a shorter shelf life than the concentrated preps.

Carolyn

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
Help with my Tomato Plant
Hello, I need some help with my tomato plant. About...
arti_asharma
Can you identify what's happening to my Celebrity Tomato?
Just planted my celebrity tomato into a raised garden....
sabinre
Help Identifying Problem
I need help identifying what's happening with my tomato...
drhoads
What is this?
Hi! I am brand new at growing tomatoes and just bought...
ItsMeET
Help Identify my Uncle's Tomato pest
Hi all, I'm writing in behalf of my uncle who is not...
greengorilla2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™