neem oil on tomatoes

youngnegJune 24, 2007

Hello Mater growers

I have a little problem with whiteflies and amphids...and i want them gone...but never used neem oil on maters before...can anybody give me some info or experience using it..or a better solution

Thanks

Rick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

How "little" is the problem? Healthy plants can tolerate both with little damage if it isn't a thick infestation and the lady bugs will control them and proliferate. Or you can just blast them off with a water hose sprayer. Keep in mind that many of the white "bugs" you are seeing are really just the empty white carapaces of the hatched aphids and pose no threat.

Neem is safe to use on tomatoes but it will also kill any beneficial insects like ladybugs and lacewings and trich wasps that control hornworms. So unless you have a really bad infestation it's best to let the beneficials and water hose control them.

Another alternative is the soapy water spray (a few drops of soap- not detergent- in a spray bottle of water) sprayed directly on the insects (don't drench the plant) in the early morning (not in the direct sun or high heat).

Good luck. ;)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Neem oil kill beneficials?

Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 12:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whizzer75(z7 Al)

I used a spray of Octagon soap which so far has been effective. Sprayed early in the morning, let it stay on plants for a few minutes and rinsed off.

Bookmark   June 26, 2007 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
What is this?
Hi! I am brand new at growing tomatoes and just bought...
ItsMeET
Sick tomato plants
Some of my tomatoes look really sick. Is this a disease?...
JaneMacG
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
Tomato Leaves Turning Blackish
I planted my tomatoes from seeds two months ago. They...
tomatodad
Wilting Tomato Plant
I am growing several types of heirloom tomato plants...
awestruck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™