Thrips like my brandywine the best

elkski(5)June 21, 2006

I put this in the heirloom page but maybe this is the correct palce.

Yes I have thrips again this year! Thanks for last year Costco!

I use 2 4x10' raised beds and I cant move them and didn't have another place to plant my 16 maters.

I was a viligiant inspector this year afer last years severe bloosom drop problem/tried the nice soap method to only extend my problem and lost more than half my production.

Anyhow this year it was right to the Malathion plus every Friday. I missed last Friday's spray but they were back and I sprayed sunday. Now I see them again on the Brandywine and that is where all my blossom drop is occurring. It is next to better boy and legend and a health kick... It does appear the the brandywine blosom stems are is more sticky looking than the other plants..

Whats the deal" is the brandywine thrip cotton candy or what?

Also how ugly of a chemical is this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
torquill(z9/sunset15 CA)

Malathion is pretty ugly... and I'm not sure it's the thrips causing your blossom drop. Have you seen the thrips recently? You can usually see them with a good magnifying glass or hand-lens.

Brandywine is notoriously finicky about setting fruit, particularly if it's the generic pink one. Too hot, not hot enough, not enough water, not old enough, a little too much humidity... it almost takes standing on one leg and reciting a limerick to get it to set. So just having blossom drop isn't an indication of thrip activity.

Look for the thrips, and don't spray unless you see them. Take out all the weeds in the garden area and as far out from it as you can, because weeds host them. Start flicking your Brandywine flowers, and don't use it as your indicator of how well things are setting -- use the other three, which are very reliable.

--Alison
who has noticed that the generic pink Brandywine is much less tolerant than the Sudduth strain for some reason -- Sudduth Brandywine has been setting in 100+ degree weather this week, where normal Brandywine would just fry.

Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
Need help with wilt
Since the ground is infected with the wilt and don't...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Aphids and mosaic virus!!
I only have 2-3 aphids on my seedlings... The next...
T S
Can you identify what's happening to my Celebrity Tomato?
Just planted my celebrity tomato into a raised garden....
sabinre
Help Pls! Tomato branches falling off
Hi all - A few weeks ago I started to notice a marginal...
jhamoud
Sick tomato plants
Some of my tomatoes look really sick. Is this a disease?...
JaneMacG
Sponsored Products
Caboche Flushmount by Foscarini
$1,711.00 | Lumens
Tribeca Banqueting Chandelier
Lightology
Delicate Black & Gold Wallpaper R1510, sample
Walls Republic
House of Troy Newport Pewter Finish 6-Way Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Butterflies 3-piece King-size Quilt Set
Overstock.com