hardy fuchsias --

amazondoc(mid-TN, z 7)May 13, 2005

Has anyone here tried Fuchsia magellanica? I'm intrigued --

http://www.whiteflowerfarms.com/29179-product.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
intimidator_3(7a TN)

Im intrigued too. I have never thought of trying hardy fuchsias, but with a zone rating of 6-9, I would definately give it a try.

Doug

Bookmark   May 13, 2005 at 3:03PM
Soeur(z6b TN)

I tried it. It didn't do well for me, I think becauses it hated the hot humid summer weather so much it went into the winter in a weakened state and succumbed. That's my theory, anyway. Hopefully others will have better luck. I think if the nights were cooler it could handle the hot days, so maybe a mountain climate would work.

Marty

Bookmark   May 13, 2005 at 6:29PM
farmerbell(6b TN)

I ordered a couple of the hardy fucias from White Flower Farm last year and they made it through the summer and bloomed sporadically. I brought them inside for the winter because I just was not sure of their hardiness and they died during the winter. I certainly will not try them again. As Marty says, I don't think they can stand the heat and humidity of the south.

Ann

Bookmark   May 13, 2005 at 9:19PM
amazondoc(mid-TN, z 7)

Thanks guys! I guess I'll give it a pass for now. On the other hand, I've just found several variegated fuchsias (non-hardy) that look really wonderful......

Bookmark   May 13, 2005 at 11:09PM
maternut(7 west tn)

I still have a ID tag from a plant swap, says Hardy Fuchsia.
All that remains is the tag. it was hardy.
Norm

Bookmark   May 14, 2005 at 10:24AM
jessamine(z6 TN)

i also tried the wwf fuchsia. it was not a survivor. i've looked other places, such as heronswood and they rate all the hardy fuchsias 7 and higher so i think wwf is being a little brash.

j.

Bookmark   May 19, 2005 at 1:23AM
peri__n_eal(z6neTn)

Ann's Greenhaus in Tusculum(Greeneville) has what she calls a hardy fuscia. It was not labeled, so I can't tell you which one.

It was not hardy for me but in all fairness I didn't have a decent spot to put it when I bought it very late last summer. It bloomed pretty orange red blooms but never grew in my very hard clay soil. It was in morning shade and only part afternoon sun.

I have reasonably good success with many zone 7 plants, so given a good siting with ammended soil and some protection, it might have returned. For $5, I may give it another try.

Bookmark   May 24, 2005 at 10:20AM
fernzilla(8)

My Fuchsias aren't the hardy variety, but are doing very well despite the heat and humidity, I was very surprised
about that, given they are supposed to like cooler temps.
Mine are the single variety coral and purple, and they have bloomed continiously since I got them this spring.
I fertilise regularly and keep them well watered. I
pinched them back, and they are covered with buds.

Bookmark   July 15, 2005 at 9:08AM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

I'm still interested in these, and considering the list that ForestFarm has, I'm really wondering if they could be happy in half day shade in decent soil on an east Tennessee hilltop.
Any more experiences?

Here is a link that might be useful: Forestfarm's list (with pictures)

Bookmark   December 31, 2006 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
Amaryllis in Tennessee
Can Amaryllis stay in the ground near Nashville TN?...
ryseryse_2004
New Gardener Looking for Help :D
Hey guys, I'm just an average teenager looking to get...
GardenerLee
New to Chattanooga TN
Moved here about a month ago and can't wait to garden....
poppiesandmarigolds
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™