Please help a newbie!

aelitaJune 8, 2011

I live in NH and I planted two varieties of tomatoes on June 3 for the very first time. The cherry ones seem to be doing just fine still, but some Early Girl variety plants� lower leaves are turning yellow with occasional small brown spots. I water both varieties twice a day as the ground is extremely dry. At first I was watering over the whole plant, but since yesterday am I watered at the roots only. They were purchased as plantings from a local nursery. Did I do something wrong, or, I am really worried, this might be the dreaded blight - see the photo?

Should I go and get some new plants from another nursery that�s known for quality tomato plants and replant them after getting these out of the soil (it�s still not too late to plant them here)? I really don�t mind doing that. Or if it is in fact blight, is it too late to pull the infected plants out of the soil? � Someone told me that if it�s blight, the soil is already infected and the new plants would get it too, is it true?

Should I water only in the am (to prevent blight) or in the evenings as well? Thanks in advance!

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
itzybitzy_gw(7NC)

I am not an expert but I would not worry(yet) if the yellowing/browning is on the lower leaves it is normal.They are the oldest and as part of nature brown and die first and I would recomend not to water them so much unless they are in containers you could do more harm,instead mulch around the plant roots and water deeply less times a week how much? it depends on the weather check by digging 1 or 2 inches into the soil if is moist no need to water if is dry go ahead,best wishes.wow I jus realize that you plant them 5 day ago I hope you planted them deep and have some kind of support.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
Can you identify what's happening to my Celebrity Tomato?
Just planted my celebrity tomato into a raised garden....
sabinre
What is this?
Hi! I am brand new at growing tomatoes and just bought...
ItsMeET
What is this?
What is causing this on my tomatoes? Pests? Bugs?
kyleindebary
Mysterious disappearing Tomatoes
I'm in Richmond, VA (23233, if that helps). I moved...
Lorahv
Yellow spots on leaves
Hi, I have several tomato plants that I started as...
jdftwrth
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™