Tiny Red Bugs and Leaf curling, wilting (pictures)

fargelJune 10, 2007

I have 4 tomato plants, 2 of them are Roma plants (and are doing just fine), 1 of them is a Better Boy plant and one is a Bush Champion. I have 2 problems: On the Better Boy plant I have a few small, red bugs which used to be much more numerous, but they are still there (probably 15-30 on the plant that I can see now).

With the Bush Champion plant I have some leaf curling and yellowing, which started after I went out of town for 4 days and they weren't watered (the plants looked pretty wilted when I got back, but immediately watered them and all of them have recovered completely, with the exception of this one). Is this due to the stress of not having any water for a few days (maybe scorching?), or is it something else? Should I prune the yellowing/curling leaves from the plant?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Hi fargel - The insects are aphids - you can also see the white molts where they have hatched. They are attracted to excessive nitrogen in plants and suck nutrients from the leaves and stems. A few won't harm the plant but a bad infestation can kill it. Check the undersides of the leaves for aphid gatherings. ;) The link below tells you all about them. Controls vary and include just blasting them off with water and insecticidal soap sprays.

The leaf roll is most often a result of inconsistent watering levels and is common with container plants as it is difficult to maintain consistent moisture in them. But it can also be caused by excessing watering if the soil does not drain well. You can search "leaf roll" here and find several discussions on it. It doesn't affect production and can usually just be ignored unless it becomes severe.

You can safely remove the yellow leaves (also a sign of watering problems) but the rolled ones will do fine as is. They will straighten out once the watering problem is solved. ;) Good luck with your plants.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: IPM - Aphids

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
Help Identifying "Swarming" Tiny Caterpillars
About once a week or so I've been finding a leaf or...
Cliff Pruitt
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
P.Brandywine bumpy soft ,green curling leaves
Firstly, I'm a raw newbie. Please forgive any faux...
sproutling
Indoor tomatoes in trouble, help iD
Hi guys! Could you please tell me what you think the...
Mikhail Evtushenko
Help Identify my Uncle's Tomato pest
Hi all, I'm writing in behalf of my uncle who is not...
greengorilla2
Sponsored Products
New Arrival Tabriz Unique Red Floral Design Hand Knotted Wool 8' X 10' Rug H5390
BH Sun Inc
Area Rug: Tustin Red 8' Round
Home Depot
Set of Four Spectrum Napkins
$136.00 | FRONTGATE
Red Cedar 27" Wide 4' Picnic Table with (2) 4' Backed Benches
Fifthroom.com
Mora Leather Loveseat - Brighton Parrot Red
Joybird Furniture
Rosilini Silver Leaf 16 1/2" x 31 1/2" Wall Mirror
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Spinning Nest Wall Mirror