Black Krim , Cherokee Purple from hanging pots ??

xcaret(Calgary Alberta)January 5, 2013

I am wondering if either Black krim or Cherokee Purple would grow very well from hanging pots. I'm in Alberta and would like to keep them long after frost has come.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_in_sask

These varieties grow into huge plants. From my experience, I don't get a whole lot of production with tomatoes grown in pots; I usually just grow cherry tomatoes that way. I guess it depends on the size of the pots too, but I would stick these two in-ground. You can always try in pots, but unless you have a good source of light in the house, they will struggle anyway (with bugs and getting enough light).

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 2:13PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

How big of a hanging pot are you talking about? The average 12" basket? No way either would make it.

As already mentioned both are big plants. I have grown both in 12 gallon containers and they have done ok, but even better in a 1/2 whiskey barrel.

Dave

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 2:17PM
xcaret(Calgary Alberta)

Thanks for the answers. I'm thinking of turning my portable torn garage /shelter into a greenhouse (a lightbulb just came on over my head lol.) I can park my car in it over winter and grow plants all summer. Just need some 6 ,or 8 mil poly.

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Tomatoes that did not want to quit
Anecdotal experience from last year- Maya and Sion...
sheltieche
Black Pineapple Tomato (aka Ananas Noire): Verdict
Just picked my first black pineapple tomato and ate...
Edymnion
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
I need a high yield, good tasting indeterminate tomato.
I have a short growing season, and will grow them in...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™