Moving to TN, need privacy hedge

i_luv_plantsMay 9, 2007

Hi everyone! I will be moving to Greeneville, TN from FL soon and would like to plant a privacy hedge in my new yard. Since I am from FL I don't know what types of hedges are available up there. I would like an evergreen, flowering would be a plus but not necessary. I would be needing something inexpensive since I will have to buy a lot of them. It would be great if I could find something like this that is already several feet high, or extremely fast growing, but not sure if that's possible. Does anyone have any ideas on the type of hedge I could use and also what gardening centers in the area would have them? I would appreciate any advice! Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myrtleoak(z7 TN)

Red tip photina is my favorite, you can also do the larger forms of English laurel, Carolina laurelcherry, an evergreen viburnum that I can't think of (rough leaf maybe). All of these bloom in some form, red tip gives you new bright red foliage and small blossoms, the viburnum can bloom very earlier or even in winter and probably has the most pronounced blooms. These all seem to fit your request for an evergreen bloomer. Then there's always boxwoods and hollies (even if they are overplanted).

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 4:55PM
i_luv_plants

Thanks so much for the response. I looked up the shrubs you suggested. I can see why red tip photina is your favorite, it's stunning. I have never seen it before. The others were very pretty as well. It looks like the photina would give lots of privacy and would look great with my brick house, I think that's the shrub I want to go with. Are they easy to come by in garden centers up there? Thanks again!

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 11:04AM
myrtleoak(z7 TN)

Yes, they are easy to find. I even got one at K-mart of all places (guess I shouldn't admit that). Hope you enjoy TN.

Brandon

Bookmark   May 13, 2007 at 8:19PM
More Discussions
Japanese Beetle traps & Milky Spore?
I think I read a post on one of the rose forums where...
krikit
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
plants to give away.
I live in Ringgold, GA near Chattanooga. I have some...
mrlynn
Help with Knockout Roses
I have lost 4 mature Knockout Roses, about 10 years...
neil64
Grading/Leveling recommendations
We're looking to grade and landscape our backyard,...
elsten
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™