Newbie General Advice
I'm sure it comes up every season but I too am a newbie gardener in SWFL (Naples). A little background and hopefully you can offer some advice.
I am starting a small backyard garden as a way to produce my own organic veggies, increase my outdoor activities and learn a new and practical skill. I have cleared a portion of my back yard built 4 (4x4) raised bed gardens. Two of the beds are about 8" deep, one is about 11", and the other is 14" deep. The bottom are covered with weed paper. The shallower beds have been filled with Black Kow and Horse Manure. I am working on composting for a nice top layer to provide added nutrients at planting.
I'm looking to grow a Salad Garden (Various Greens, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Snow Peas, Green Onions, Carrots, Peppers) and am open to Okra, Eggplant, Squash/Zucchini, Beans & Peas, Broccoli, Garlic, Watermelon Cantaloup and Strawberries. I'm would like an herb plot also including Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Parsley, Cilantro, Mint, Rosemary. Edible Pansies and Marigolds would be good. I pretty open.
1) I know everyone has different mixtures for their garden soil but what are the thoughts on my simple mixture?
2) Opinions on Square Foot Gardening as a first time gardener?
3) Practical Companion Planting ideas/strategies?
4) When to start planting? Start as seeds in garden or indoors?
5) Advice on a practical Plot Plans?
6) Should I add worms? How many per bed?
7) Growing Squash/Zuchini/Cucumbers Vertically?
8) Less of a Newbie question but has anyone heard of/used Ocean-ponics?
Ahhh!!!! I know its a lot, hopefully you all can offer some good advice and guidance to a newbie and help some others along the way.