Please help identify whats wrong with tomato

rreinenJune 25, 2010

Please see picture, they are hanging roma tomatoes

I searched everything, I just can't tell.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lionheart_gw

I suppose it could be either over-watering, under-watering, and/or not enough fertilizer.

However, the white-looking spots on the leaves could be spider mites and/or powdery mildew. It's kind of hard to tell without a really, really close up photo. Plus, we don't get much powdery mildew where I live, so I don't have a lot of experience diagnosing it. It's just a thought. :-)

Oh, I see you're in Texas, where it gets hotter. Much hotter. Tomatoes don't like really hot weather. They don't like cold weather either. They're divas sometimes. :-)

I think most avid tomato growers in the hot summer climates, like Texas, stop growing tomatoes in the heart of summer because the heat just devastates the plants. They usually plant early for a spring harvest, and then start early type tomatoes for an autumn harvest. So you need to consider the oppressive heat. If it's too hot the tomatoes won't thrive and they won't set fruit.

How big is the container? Tomatoes get big roots and don't do well in small containers.

Fertilize regularly, about once a week with a water-soluble fertilizer such as MG or Peter's or one of your favorites. Remove the crispy leaves.

You need something to fight the possible insect damage, and a fungicide in case that's some powdery mildew (on the greener leaves further away, maybe).

Don't provide too much water or too little water. Believe it or not, most folks tend to use too much water. Only water when the soil is completely dry when you stick your finger in the pot a couple of inches down. Tomatoes don't like to have wet feet.

I hope someone in your zone and climate can give you better answers.

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
P.Brandywine bumpy soft ,green curling leaves
Firstly, I'm a raw newbie. Please forgive any faux...
sproutling
tomatoes
a little green like fly is hammering my crop for the...
westy54
black spots on tomatoes
HI, As my wife and I are sitting hear having a cup...
dennyida
worst tomato plants ever
Hi I have been growing tomato plants for at least twenty...
greelygarden
What's term for woven plants? Can tomatoes be woven?
In landscaping I've seen pictures of plants that are...
albert_135
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™