Insects covering my tomato plants!

seanomac76June 8, 2009

I've never grown tomatoes before, but thought I'd try to grow a few varieties in containers this year (Sun Gold, Early Girl, and Better Boy- I think). Everything was going fine, but I noticed some small black bugs with large clear wings covering the leaves a couple of weeks ago. Now I seem to have every insect there is. I assume the black bugs laid eggs because there are several clusters of small black dots on the underside of the leaves. I also have small green bugs I assume are aphids and bight white bugs (whitefly?).

I am trying to avoid chemical insecticides, so I made a spray using water and a small amount of dish soap. I also added a small amount of sesame oil since one of the organic sprays listed that as an active ingredient. I sprayed yesterday but seem to have more bugs than ever.

In addition to this, 2 of my plants have drooping leaves that are starting to curl. Would this be from lack of water, too much water, not enough sun? I can share some pictures when I can figure out how to reduce the image size. Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
york

I wouldn't spray during the hottest hours of the day. Soap can stress a plant, if the plant is exposed to sun after spraying. Try to spray in the evening or the early morning hours. If I were you, I would also douse the plants with heavy sprays of water. You could theoretically remove most of the bugs from the plants, and they wouldn't be able get back on. You would have to repeat these water sprayings every so often.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
Help Identify my Uncle's Tomato pest
Hi all, I'm writing in behalf of my uncle who is not...
greengorilla2
What is this?
Hi! I am brand new at growing tomatoes and just bought...
ItsMeET
What is this?
What is causing this on my tomatoes? Pests? Bugs?
kyleindebary
worst tomato plants ever
Hi I have been growing tomato plants for at least twenty...
greelygarden
Yellow spots on leaves
Hi, I have several tomato plants that I started as...
jdftwrth
Sponsored Products
Mizone Asha 4-piece Paisley Quilt Set
Overstock.com
Eclipse Custom Bathroom Pedestal Vanity - Floating Blue Vetrazzo
Modern Bathroom
Alice Polished Nickel Plug-In Double Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Home Decorators Area Rug: Rooster Garden Brick 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Evince Outdoor Patio Chaise in Espresso Peridot
$799.00 | LexMod