seeds - in ground vs. not

doginthegardenAugust 15, 2012

Here in Southern California, we're sweating out the heat wave and thinking about planting our autumn vegetable gardens. Sometime soon I'll start some seeds. I'll probably do a mix of starting them in small pots and of starting them directly in the raised beds. Are there pros/cons of either method, besides the high risk of the in-pot seeds drying out in our hot dry climate? (yes, even if I shade them and mist them several times a day). I think I've read that some vegs do better if transplanted and some don't like it at all. Thought I'd see what the wisdom of this forum thinks. thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patsuweb

I am not an expert since this is my first year, but I live in S. Nev and have temp in the 100's here. So I seem to have better luck with starting most of my seeds inside using one of those seed starter flats with a clear cover. As soon as they pop up, they are transferred to small pot (plastic or styrofoam cup)which is labeled and dated and placed in a sunny window. Within a few days, most will then go outside into a mostly shady spot and then will be moved to a sunnier location when the second set of leaves are fully formed. I tried germinating directly in the bed and although several came up quickly, they seemed to get eaten by the insects too quickly and few remain.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 8:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angela12345(7b NC Mixed-Humid)

Google temperature seed germination. The following article has a chart that shows % of seeds germinated at different temperatures. In parenthesis () is how many days it took to achieve that % of germination.
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html

There are not too many things that cannot be transplanted, most do well, especially if you take care not to disturb the roots. You will definitely have to make sure the small pots do not get dried out. Also, harden off the seedlings before transplanting.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 8:49AM
More Discussions
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
2nd year of SFG: what to do?
Hi all, 2nd year of SFG. Last year was 3, 4x4 beds....
Anthony
Looking for bloggers
I am looking for folk interested in writing about square...
Andrew_Green
Skinny yam harvest
Hi everyone, If anyone can share some wisdom about...
ashita
Mel's Mix versus 100% Compost
Hello all, I am starting some boxes for growing. I...
bsntech
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™