Burpee's Sweet Tangerine hybrid tomato

tatton95(5)January 4, 2012

I am interested in geting feedback from those who have grown Burpee's Sweet Tangerine Hybrid tomato. It gets great reviews on Burpee's website, but I would like to get feedback from a source other than the company's website. I would like to find a midsize hybrid tomato that tastes similiar to Sunsugar or Sungold cherry tomatoes and based on the reviews I have read, it sounds like Sweet Tangerine is about as close as I can come. I have also read some reviews that it grows more like a semi-determinate than a determinate like Burpee says it is.

Thank you,

Brett

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suncitylinda

The open pollinated "Orange Banana" tastes quite a bit like SunGold. As far as Burpee, I wouldnt put a lot of stock in any claims they make. As an example their newest catalog lists Pink Brandywine as a small determinate that thrives in 95 degree heat. LOL LInda

Bookmark   January 4, 2012 at 2:05PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

I've been growing Sweet Tangerine for years. I subbed Lemon Boy a couple years ago and wasn't as impressed. I think semi-determinate is a good description. It doesn't get real tall and it produces over a long period of time. The flavor isn't anything special ... certainly not anything close to Sun Gold. I've never tasted Sunsugar. I like the tomato because it takes our heat, it's good and juicy which means it's a great addition to a fresh (uncooked) sauce when I use a combo of tomatoes, and it's pretty. Works for me.

Bookmark   January 4, 2012 at 6:56PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

As Linda mentioned Burpee isn't known for providing accurate information about their products - way over-hyped and often mis-named (they like to make up their own names for other varieties) - and that is only one reason many of us won't deal with them.

Consider Orange Banana, Orange Strawberry, or even better Aunt Gertie's Gold although it isn't a hybrid. Jubilee is also quite good when the weather cooperates.

Dave

Bookmark   January 4, 2012 at 7:13PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

I haven't bought seed from Burpee's for a few years, but never had a problem with the seeds being other than advertised. In fact, that's where I first bought Sun Gold seeds many years ago.

I order from TGS every year and have run into problems with seed not being as advertised. No company is infallible.

Bookmark   January 4, 2012 at 8:27PM
ikea_gw

I grew Sweet Tangerine on and off for several years now. It is not going to taste nearly as sweet as sungold but it is a good tasting mid size tomato when fruits are ripened completely. I don't think I've tasted anything as sweet as sungold.

Sweet Tangerine is determinant but the fruits won't actually ripen at the same time, so the harvest period is about 2 months for me. It has always been healthy and vigorous in my garden with very good yield. The size is perfect for sandwiches or salads. I really like it even though I mostly grow heirloom varieties.

Bookmark   January 6, 2012 at 9:25PM
More Discussions
Please Critique Selections for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
Ideas for paste varieties
I plan grow san marzano.; but need to think about a...
gridgardener
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
Newbie at grafting tomatoes
I'm completely new to the procedure (also new to Tomatoes...
perlite
Tell me your ultimate tomatoes
Highest yield: Best flavor: Easiest/most disease resistant: Best...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™