Ants and curling leaves

beckie5326June 12, 2010

My apologies if I've double sent this...

The top leaves on one of my tomato plants are curling upwards. It's about 1/4 of the plant.

-I noticed it about a week ago after we had a night with several inches of rain.

-The bottom leaves look fine. They may be a little spindly, or maybe that's my imagination

-When I checked the base of the plant, I found the dirt swarming with black garden ants.

-The leaves are of normal texture

I've spent WAY too long researching this on the internet. Any diseases that I read about seem to start from the bottom. I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you!

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Is it possible to post a larger image? And perhaps more of the plant?

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 2:05AM
beckie5326

Okay, this is embarassing. On the postitive side, by the time I get Photobucket/Gardenweb figured out, maybe my tomato problems will resolve themselves!

Here is a picture of the tomato plant with upward cupping upper leaves that had lots of ants at the base.

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 2:30PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Suspicious of weed killer drift, even if just wwed & feed for the lawn.

But perhaps environmental. That said,we've had humongous amounts of rain here recently and none of my plants are doing that.

Do you know the name of the plant? (Some tomatoes react differently than others.) Someone more familiar with the reactions of a wide range of tomatoes may then chime in.

Doubt the ants have anything to do with it, other than they have a nest nearby in the ground.

Oh yes, thanks for the images.

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 2:51PM
beckie5326

Thanks, Jean. It's an Amish Paste tomato. My big concern is if it's sick. It's at the end of a row of a variety of tomatoes, and I don't want it to spread. I'm glad this doesn't scream fungal or viral to you. It would really hurt to have to pull it up!

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 4:06PM
beckie5326

I'm strongly suspecting that it's herbicide drift. The leaves are not turning yellow or spotting. The plant is looking more droopy, though. Here's a picture I found on line. It's pretty close to mine.

http://www.wolfpackweeds.com/php/herbInjury-photo.php?photo=2,4-daminetomato.jpg&crop=Tomato&act=2,4-D

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
What is this?
Hi! I am brand new at growing tomatoes and just bought...
ItsMeET
Spots on tomato rootstock seedlings!!
Does anyone know what this is? I planted Maxifort and...
miggyl
Mysterious disappearing Tomatoes
I'm in Richmond, VA (23233, if that helps). I moved...
Lorahv
New Forum Sucks
Why is it when you have something great someone comes...
hoosier318
Tomato Wilt
Which Heirloom varieties are wilt resistant
oldgardenguy_zone6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™