going forward with Square foot

belleville_rose_grAugust 26, 2008

I started a post last week about whether to try square ft vs. traditional gardening. With the holiday weekend approaching I think I will use the extra day off from to work on a raised bed. My thinking is the bed will be either 1x6 cedar(no access locally for 2x6) or I may go with 2x6 pine. The beds will be different sizes to due the space of the garden.Maybe I can get my wife to paint and stencil the frame to add some color to the garden. Depth of the beds is not an issue because I will be converting my rose garden to veggie and will incorporate this soil with new. I will still need to build some type of portable rabbit barrier but I have time for that. I want something I can remove so I can rototill the garden.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolynp(z7)

Very cool! I wish I could stencil things. I'm a firm believer that the nicer it looks, the more you want to look at it.

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 3:47PM
Melissa Houser

belleville rose, If you do SFG properly, you should never need to rototill the garden. You'll never walk on the ground, so it will never be compressed. :) Yet another benefit of SFG.

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 8:07PM
angelady777 (was angelady on GW) - Zone 6(6)

Congrats on your decision to go with SFG. It is by far easier than traditional gardening. I doubt I'd be gardening much at all if I hadn't found this method.

~Angela

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 11:45PM
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

I was where you were last year! Different situation in the yard, but just starting out having read the book and designing my garden. Now is very fun time! Plan what you're going to do and do it. Can't ask for better, well maybe when the harvest comes in and you realize it was all worth it.

And ditto to Lissa. No tilling in SFG. If you need fluffy soil for carrots, it's 1 SF so just use a trowel, hehe. I use my hands sometimes.

My aunt would kill me if I ruined "her" rose garden, but that'd be my next spot for adding on.

Good luck to you! If you run into any challenges, here's a good reference, or just read my old blog posts, chances are I had the same problem and solved it. hehe. That's what the first year (and maybe longer) is all about!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure!

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 12:52AM
belleville_rose_gr

I have just purchased a chipper/shredder and was going to shred the yard waste back into my garden beds. I can then till this in the garden in spring with my small tiller. I have the mantis which is a handy to tool to have.

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 12:32PM
jbest123(Zone 5 PA)

I have been gardening for 50 years. This is my first year for SFG, and I wish I had done it 49 years ago. I just sold a very good tiller and shredder and purchased a better chipper/shredder. I am just getting to old to bounce around behind a tiller, even a small one. I predict you will be doing something similar when you notice the cobwebs on the tiller. Good luck John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
2nd year of SFG: what to do?
Hi all, 2nd year of SFG. Last year was 3, 4x4 beds....
Anthony
Vining plants and selection for beginner.
So glad to have found this resource! I am starting...
GreenFox
Cold Weather Covers
I made a cover for a 4x4 box going off the instructions...
mtnrunner
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™