White and Yellow Knockout Roses

connietnMay 19, 2009

...I thought you all might like to have a real-life report on these. They are sort of new this year, so I bit the hook and tried some.

So far, I wouldn't say I'm knocked out. :)

I have one yellow, and about six whites. They are really limping along. The leaves are not looking well at all, and they are not putting on a lot of new growth. Two or three of the whites look like they might do OK, but the rest are downright embarrassing. The yellow is hanging in there, I guess, but not blooming so much. I bought two other yellows for a couple of neighbors, and they promptly bit the dust. Double-embarrassing, after I had bragged about the hardiness of knockouts.

For comparison, I also bought about 15 red double knockouts (to line a fence) at about the same time. These are kicking butt! Got two pinks as well, and they are doing almost as well as the reds.

So, my experience has been: Red and pink = good. Yellow and white = sketchy.

:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paperart

I have pink and one that is varigated. They are not as disease resistant as the red but bloom earlier for me and grow about as fast. They are not as easy to root as the red ones either. I do still like them and for sure they are easier to deal with than the tea roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening tips

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 3:02PM
thedaylilykid(z 7)

The 'White Out' Rose is not a knockout from what I understand. From what I hear it gets blackspot, and that's why it is not called a knockout. I think it was bred by the same guy who brought us the Knockouts - Radler.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 2:27PM
connietn

I think you're right...I think it's not a true knock out. I was hoping it would at least have some hardy shrub rose characteristics. But so far, not so much!

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 4:38PM
boffie

I purchased two yellow knock out roses and both of them have an extremely wimpy yellow color at first but turn white almost immediately. Wish I would have known that. I wanted yellow, not white.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Evergreen trees with large leaves
I'm seeing them all around and wonder what they are?...
ryseryse_2004
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
Composting Leaves
I have a huge pile of leaves, trying to speed up composting...
maternut
Williamson County Master Gardener Plant Sale and Garden Expo
Williamson County Master Gardner Association Invites...
bbhillarts
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™