What is killing my tomatoes?

ehsteveJune 4, 2013

I have four tomato plants in containers, two are having problems with leaves near the bottom turning yellow and dying, one still has new growth occurring near the top but the other one has stopped growing new leaves and the leaves at the top half are small. Other than that the plants look pretty healthy, at least to my untrained eye.

But every day there are more yellow leaves at the bottom and as I remove them the foliage is really starting to thin out.

I had a bit of an aphid problem but in the last week a bunch of ladybug eggs have hatched and the plants are swarming with ladybug larvae so the aphids are vanishing pretty quickly.

The tomatoes are in containers in a Raybo 3-2-1 mix.

Does anyone have any idea what is killing them and if/how I can stop it?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dog_wood_2010(7)

Yellowing of the leaves could be too much water. I can see water rings under the pots. Soil should be kept moist but not soaked. The roots need to breathe. Water early in the day, never in the evening. It could also be insufficient sunlight. They need 6-8 hours per day. Also, try spacing the pots out a little more so each plant gets good air circulation and not touching each other. Prune off the suckers to open up the plants to more light and air. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
What is this?
What is causing this on my tomatoes? Pests? Bugs?
kyleindebary
Tomato Wilt
Which Heirloom varieties are wilt resistant
oldgardenguy_zone6
No tomatoes
First time this has ever happened. My tomato plant...
patti_june
worst tomato plants ever
Hi I have been growing tomato plants for at least twenty...
greelygarden
Yellow spots on leaves
Hi, I have several tomato plants that I started as...
jdftwrth
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™