Help: Sprayed Tomato Plants with Soap......

lsuslicksterJune 1, 2007

Hi, I sprayed my beautiful tomato plants with soapy water - to avoid using chemicals - and my tomatoes suddenly look terrible. The leaves are look like they are dying and black spots are covering the leaves and stems. Somebody, please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheri_ok(6)

Lsuslickster, I am not a pro gardener, but I know the soap sprays are supposed to be made of a liquid non-phospate SOAP, not detergent, detergent can hurt your plants. Okiedawn just answered that question for me in the oklahoma gardening forum, if you want to go read that, it is posted for may 31. She recommended using dr. bronner's soap. Maybe if you rinse your plants and water them really well, they may come out of it. Good luck! Sheri

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 11:27PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Sounds like the spray mixture was too strong. How much soap did you use? I use 1 T to a gallon of water with no problems but stronger mixes can harm the plants. I also only lightly mist the plant, not drench it, and leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse the plant well. Like sheri said, I'd try washing off the plants well and they should recover.

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 11:22AM
lsuslickster

Thank you guys, rinsed the plants and they are looking better - still much worse than before but all the new growth looks fine. Next time I'll try a weaker mixture.

I used a T to a quart of water and covered thouroughly - oops.

Bookmark   June 3, 2007 at 11:39AM
More Discussions
What's term for woven plants? Can tomatoes be woven?
In landscaping I've seen pictures of plants that are...
albert_135
Help Identify my Uncle's Tomato pest
Hi all, I'm writing in behalf of my uncle who is not...
greengorilla2
Tomato Leaf curl
I'm having problems with my Beefsteak tomatoes. The...
DoctorAche
Tomato Leaves Turning Blackish
I planted my tomatoes from seeds two months ago. They...
tomatodad
Mysterious disappearing Tomatoes
I'm in Richmond, VA (23233, if that helps). I moved...
Lorahv
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™