HELP! Sudden and dramatic tomato wilting

frankie40June 28, 2006

Hello,

My tomato plants looked beautiful -- 4 feet tall, busy with lots of tomatoes. Then, suddenly, they wilted. The entire plant wilted -- 4 of 8 plants! AGH! It's been raining here non stop and I thought that they were drowning. The leaves are green, no yellow at all, and and are just absolutely limp. Please tell me what to do, what to look for...is there anything I can do to save my crop? The garden is so soggy that one plant fell over even though it was staked well with a cage. I've been all over the internet trying to figure out what the problem could be. Please help me if you can. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sillyrib(z5 IL)

sounds like they are drowning from all the rain. you might want to dig a drainage ditch to the side of your garden to help remove some of the water saturation. Some people will install a drainage pipe where excess will seep into the pipe and away from the plants. Are the fruit splitting?

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 10:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robbin417

I just started posting on GardenWeb and saw your note. Sounds like bacterial wilt. I just had it happen to one of my very promising Evergreen plants, which was sitting at the end of a row. We've had lots of rain and tropical type weather here in NYC recently, and reading about this syndrome indicates the weather is a factor, but that the bacteria do reside in the soil. As hard as it was to do, I took out the plant and also dug around to get as much root matter as possible out of the ground as it can linger for years. Hope you are doing OK with your garden.

Bookmark   July 29, 2006 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
No tomatoes
First time this has ever happened. My tomato plant...
patti_june
Mysterious disappearing Tomatoes
I'm in Richmond, VA (23233, if that helps). I moved...
Lorahv
What is this?
Hi! I am brand new at growing tomatoes and just bought...
ItsMeET
What is this
Is this septoria leaf spot, bacterial speck or early...
lubadub
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™