Reticulated Beetle - Cupes capitatus

woodenzoo(z6 OH)June 24, 2006

I believe that I have quite a few of these around (Or something very simular). I've tried googling and only came up with pictures and genus and latin names and such... lol Could anyone tell me in simple english if they are harmful to plants?

Thanks!

Cathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
torquill(z9/sunset15 CA)

In simple English: no, not that I can tell.

Cupes capitatus is uncommon in the United States, but the lack of pest information out there says quite a bit. I also came across a reference that says that the larvae are wood-borers, which are usually a problem only for large woodpiles and occasionally houses. Given its scarcity here, I'd say it's no threat to anything.

It does look a little like some of the longhorned beetles like Sawyers, so you may not have a true Cupes... but all of the longhorns are borers of one type or another. If you're concerned that it might be one that could threaten mature trees, like the tightly-controlled Asian Longhorned Beetle, take one in to your local Agriculture Department office. They'll know what the bad guys look like.

--Alison

Bookmark   June 25, 2006 at 3:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodenzoo(z6 OH)

I didn't even think to see what area they may be found...
I'll try to quit worrying about them when they're on my veggies. (Don't seem to be causing any trouble! Whatever they are!)

Thanks for the info Alison!
Cathy

Bookmark   June 25, 2006 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
worst tomato plants ever
Hi I have been growing tomato plants for at least twenty...
greelygarden
No tomatoes
First time this has ever happened. My tomato plant...
patti_june
Help Identifying Problem
I need help identifying what's happening with my tomato...
drhoads
Can you identify what's happening to my Celebrity Tomato?
Just planted my celebrity tomato into a raised garden....
sabinre
Wilting Tomato Plant
I am growing several types of heirloom tomato plants...
awestruck
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™