Drilling holes in containers (where & how many?)

angelady777 (was angelady on GW) - Zone 6(6)August 5, 2008

Oh, goodness, someone please help! I am getting ready to go out of town and had to my plants in something quick, so I went to Dollar Tree and got these great containers I can use. See the thread below for info on them if you want a good deal, too:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0818220330611.html

Well, I now just need to know for the 2 gallon ones, where do I put the holes for best drainage / water retention, and how many holes do I need?

I've heard that it's good to put holes starting at 2 inches up from the bottom all along the sides. The traditional idea, though, is to put holes in the bottom. I'm using a 1/4 inch drill bit, too, so the holes are not going to be huge. Should I put a bunch of holes or just a few. Will it help them to retain moisture if I don't put too many holes, or would that lead to root rot near the bottom of the container?

~Angela

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_bonzo

What plants are you putting in the containers? If you are putting something like canna, then I wouldn't put any holes.

Most pots I have seen only have one small hole at the bottom, and that seems to work, so I do not think I would overthink this too much.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 9:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angelady777 (was angelady on GW) - Zone 6(6)

Hi John, thanks for the reply. I'm putting veggies in them. I've only done 3 so far (hoping to know more before I plant the rest), and I put the holes in the bottom about an inch apart each. The soil was way too wet on the last one and, boy, it sure wasn't draining very fast... I guess that could be a good thing, but if it takes TOO long, then that could be bad. So far, I think it'll be okay.

I was too scared to put the holes on the side as that is not the most common place you see them and, perhaps, that might be for a reason(?), so until I know better, I guess this will have to work. I'll try to give an update when I know better how these are working.

~Angela

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 11:11PM
More Discussions
Sealing wood framed raised boxes?
I'm planning on building several raised beds for my...
djscrapbooks
What to put in the bottom of 12" high boxes??
Hello all, I am doing my first SFG this year. I live...
Deck Pros
Cinder block raised bed & drainage
Hi, I am new to this forum and gardening so please...
Alex Rumjancevs
Probably A Dumb Question But
My backyard in AZ is entirely gravel/rocks and pavers....
tascer
Weed Barrier
I was excited to find this forum. I started dabbling...
mtnrunner
Sponsored Products
Amber Module amber-module-5050-3 LED Module
EnvironmentalLights.com
Pro Track Circle Matte White LED 3-Light Ceiling Fixture
$79.95 | Lamps Plus
Peace 18 x 18 Pillow
$15.95 | Bellacor
Serena D'italia Lamps 25 in. Tiffany Baroque Bronze Table Lamp 16099
Home Depot
Kansas City Royals Candy Jar
$12.99 | zulily