Need Help with tomatos!!

the_garden_rookie(8B)July 14, 2011

Hello everyone, new gardener here, this is my first year and I think I need more help than I thought. I have planted Super Sweet 100's and Goliath Hybrid tomatos. My sweet 100 plant is only about 3' tall, its been in the ground since March from a 4" pot. the leafs are yellow and spotty, I am getting nice red tomatoes about an inch in size, but what to do about the color and spotting, my Hybrid tomato plant is the same size planted the same time also from a 4" pot, the tomatoes are not as big as indicated by the label maybe half the size, and only have about 8 of them, and yes, the same spotty yellow leafs on this plant as well. both plants are in a raised 4' x 4' bed. I am watering every other day, and I can't water in the morning so I water at night, only available time. What to do about the yellow leafs and the spots on the leafs? how to get bigger fruit and taller plant? thanks for all your help everyone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bets(z6A S ID)

Across much of the nation many gardeners have been experiencing slower growth and later ripening because of weather, a lot of us had a colder, wetter spring than normal followed almost immediately by very hot weather.

Yellowed leaves can be from a number of problems such as nutrient deficiencies, over watering, disease, lack of sunlight, or just plain old aging.

To be able to suggest what might be wrong with your plants, it would be helpful to know more about the environment it is in. So, here are the "usual" questions:

Have you checked the moisture of the growing medium or soil 3-5" below the surface? Is it dry, just right, or soggy? Have you had a soil test? Are you feeding the plants? How often? What are the NPK values of any fertilizers you are using to feed them? What has the weather been like in your area?

Have you used any amendments? Do you mulch? If so, with what and how much (how deep)? Are there any other plants near the problem plants, if so, do the neighboring plants have problems?

Can you post pictures?

The more information you can give us, the better the chances that someone can give you an accurate diagnosis.

Betsy

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
What is this?
What is causing this on my tomatoes? Pests? Bugs?
kyleindebary
Droopy Tomato leaves
Hi, I have noticed that my tomato leaves have started...
bopwinter
Yellow spots on leaves
Hi, I have several tomato plants that I started as...
jdftwrth
Help Pls! Tomato branches falling off
Hi all - A few weeks ago I started to notice a marginal...
jhamoud
worst tomato plants ever
Hi I have been growing tomato plants for at least twenty...
greelygarden
Sponsored Products
Cole & Co. 38" Premier Collection Large Provence Vanity - Aged Chestnut
Modern Bathroom
Algreen Raised Garden Bed - Brown - 34004
$66.49 | Hayneedle
East Village Floor Lamp
$159.99 | Dot & Bo
TOTO Ryohan(R) Self-Rimming Lavatory with SanaGloss(R)
Modern Bathroom
Mikko Flatweave Rug 8' x 10' - LIGHT BLUE
$849.00 | Horchow
Brown Jordan Cushions Highland Replacement Outdoor Lounge Chair Cushion in
Home Depot
Scenic Ocean Entry Mat - 30" x 48"
$79.00 | FRONTGATE
Peacock Outdoor Rug 5'3" x 7'7" - OLIVE/NATURAL
$179.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™