Will this mixture be ok?

Minderella(9 Lake County FL)August 6, 2011

I was thinking of using equal parts of perlite and vermiculite, compost to my existing SFG. Do you think it will work? My raised garden soil has compacted down so I need to aerate it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socal_mtngal(8 san diego 4600ft)

Minderella, While I'm not wild about using perlite (for the same reasons Mel avoids it--rock hard and floats), it will aerate the soil, although it doesn't hold moisture as well as vermiculite.

What size vermiculite are you using? I discovered that our area HDepot had a type that was quite fine (which I used in my first batch), while a medium grade is what is recommended. I had to search a bit to find it, and am glad I did, because it makes a big difference in how loose my mix is. The manufacturer was the same for each size, which was not specified on the outside--I actually had to feel through the plastic bag to determine if it was chunky enough.

Some settling after a few waterings is normal, more so with the finer vermiculite. A little fluffing up with a trowel or your fingers can help restore some friability of the mix in an empty square, or gently around seedlings.

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 10:36PM
Minderella(9 Lake County FL)

well I ordered the vermiculite from home depot. I guess it will be too fine. Oh well I am trying. :(

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 8:28AM
oliveoyl3

Minderella - I'd suggest you also add more compost as summer weather decomposes what compost is in the mix pretty quickly. The compost you had has broken down.

Our daughter added perlite this spring to stop the puddling in her boxed soil she acquired from someone else. I suppose eventually it works it's way up & she might have to turn the entire box when not cropping. For now the garden is productive with it.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 1:16PM
Minderella(9 Lake County FL)

I bought some compost also.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
Vining plants and selection for beginner.
So glad to have found this resource! I am starting...
GreenFox
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
Garlic crop rotating?
I started a bed 4'x6' last full of garlic. I was a...
disneynut1977
Sub Irrigation Planter
I've read two ways to build these. One with gravel...
tedeboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™