Daconil and Early Blight

otomato-oJuly 29, 2010

I have early blight on a good portion of my heirloom tomatoes, very prevalent this year in illinois due to the weather conditions. I started using daconil, a fungicide, every few weeks to help me slow the fungus and I do think it helps.

My question that I can't seem to find the answer to is how long after treating the plants, can you safely harvest and eat the fruit? 3 days? a week?

ruth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

It should be on the label as either "PHI" or the words "pre-harvest interval" which is the number of days or weeks you must wait.

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 9:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
torquill(z9/sunset15 CA)

Daconil has no pre-harvest interval for tomatoes; this information sheet from University of Wisconsin lists the pre-harvest interval for all products containing chlorothalonil as 0 days when applied to tomatoes. It's fairly inert and doesn't get into plant tissues at all; it just acts as a physical barrier against fungal penetration.

If it eases your mind at all, the toxicity of chlorothalonil is really, really low in mammals, lower than many organic treatments like sulfur; even if you eat a little by accident, it won't hurt you. So just wash the fruit before you eat them, and follow any other label directions.

--Alison

Bookmark   August 10, 2010 at 1:04AM
More Discussions
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
Wilting Tomato Plant
I am growing several types of heirloom tomato plants...
awestruck
Tomato Leaves Turning Blackish
I planted my tomatoes from seeds two months ago. They...
tomatodad
Help Identify my Uncle's Tomato pest
Hi all, I'm writing in behalf of my uncle who is not...
greengorilla2
worst tomato plants ever
Hi I have been growing tomato plants for at least twenty...
greelygarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™