Think I've got late blight... can anyone confirm? (Pics Included)

ltmayonnaiseJuly 21, 2008

Hey there, first year growing tomatoes. Just got a few in pots on my terrace in Southern Spain. I went on vacation and they were healthy, came back 3 weeks later (with a friend taking care of the garden) and they're all wilted with white spots/mold, yellowing and the plants look overall pretty sickly. Can anyone confirm what this is? I think it's late blight after going through the forums and using the "Tomato Problem Solver," but I'd like a confirmation before I try to find a way to cure them.

Thanks in advance!

Nathan

Here is a link that might be useful: My Sick Tomato Plant Photos

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltmayonnaise

Correction... I now think it's Powdery Mildew Disease... can anyone confirm? Any treatments available to save my plants!?

Thanks again!
Nathan

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 1:22PM
cindjo2(6)

you can use 30 percent lowfat milk to 70 percent water. spray every 5 days till it subsides.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 11:57PM
jbclem(z9b Topanga, Ca)

If it's mildew take a look at this web site with many examples of the use of baking soda as a fungicide.

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/bakingsoda.html

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 7:54PM
cindjo2(6)

You can also try 3 tsp baking soda 3 tsp oil and 1 tsp soap per 1 gallon water.. spray every 5 days

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 3:37PM
ltmayonnaise

Confirmed, it was definitely powdery mildew disease. I tried the milk/water solution for a few days, but to no effect. I got impatient since the plants were dying more with each day... so I broke down and bought a fungicide, which cured the white spots and mold immediately, but the plants, sadly, are too sick to recover. They're stunted and wilted and the fruit tastes a little "spicy," a sign that they're also infected. Better luck next year poor tomatoes.

Note, I'm sure that the water/milk cure works... I've read about it everywhere and many people have had positive results with it. I just wanted to do what would work the fastest and I figured a chemical treatment would be quicker than the natural remedy in this case.

Thanks a ton for all of your responses! Great community here!

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 5:28AM
More Discussions
P.Brandywine bumpy soft ,green curling leaves
Firstly, I'm a raw newbie. Please forgive any faux...
sproutling
What is this
Is this septoria leaf spot, bacterial speck or early...
lubadub
What is this?
Hi! I am brand new at growing tomatoes and just bought...
ItsMeET
Mysterious disappearing Tomatoes
I'm in Richmond, VA (23233, if that helps). I moved...
Lorahv
Sick tomato plants
Some of my tomatoes look really sick. Is this a disease?...
JaneMacG
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™