Something's bugging me....

tngreenthumb(z6 TN)May 22, 2007

Just thought you good folks might like a peek at some of the bugs I encountered recently. All Tennesee natives, I believe.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jan_Hobbs(z6a TN, USA)

Joe, you and that camera are amazing...keep the pics coming...I thoroughly enjoy seeing them.

Jan

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 10:30PM
Soeur(z6b TN)

Those are lovely pics. I got curious about the dragonfly and research shows it to be a female Common Whitetail. There are seemingly a billion types of damselflies, so that's about as far as an ID goes for the second dragonfly-like insect. The first butterfly on the purple vetch is a Great Spangled Fritillary (isn't that a luscious name?) and the little guy on the rock is a Pearl Crescent. And that's Polistes carolina, the red paper wasp. Paper wasps are one of the gardener's best friends. They eat bad guy bugs, caterpillars in particular. They love corn earworms.

All insects shown are native.

Marty

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 9:37PM
tngreenthumb(z6 TN)

Thanks Marty. The best ID I could make for the first butterfly was Aphrodite Fritillary. But then I was just googling butterflies.

The color on the wasp may be a bit misleading. This isn't what we normally call a red wasp. These are a darker color, mostly brown to nearly black. I think the flash brightened it up a bit.

And while I do usually leave the nests where they are, I DON'T like them under my wicker chairs. *grin*

Bookmark   May 25, 2007 at 9:36AM
bigorangevol(Nashville)

Dude, do you have that camera slung around your neck 24/7?

Great pics!

So where are the ones from the swap?

Bookmark   May 25, 2007 at 10:47PM
tngreenthumb(z6 TN)

bigorangevol:
Nah. Only about 16/7. Gotta shower and sleep sometime.

I posted them and you've not said a word. And I managed to keep you mostly out of all but two of them. That'll stop.

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 2:45PM
bigorangevol(Nashville)

I was happy about the quantity or lack thereof that I was in but if I get/look any fatter then you'll have to start using the wide-angle panoramic lens.

I've been pretty hammered with jobs lately so I haven't had a lot of time to get to GW. You know my opinion of your photography abilities. The pics look great!

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Grading/Leveling recommendations
We're looking to grade and landscape our backyard,...
elsten
Composting Leaves
I have a huge pile of leaves, trying to speed up composting...
maternut
Amaryllis in Tennessee
Can Amaryllis stay in the ground near Nashville TN?...
ryseryse_2004
New to Chattanooga TN
Moved here about a month ago and can't wait to garden....
poppiesandmarigolds
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™