UT Gardens Spring Plant Sale, Saturday, May 9

madmouser(7 TN)May 6, 2009

The sale is this Saturday, May 9, from 9 am to 2 p.m. at UT Gardens. The Gardens are located on Neyland Drive west of downtown and east of Alcoa Highway.

The spring sale offers some of the best plant selections in the region: everything from trees and shrubs to fruits, vegetables, herbs, annuals and perennials. Roses are the featured plant of the sale with a wide variety of selections available including many no-spray cultivars.

It's also a great time to take a walk through the gardens and see what does well here and what's on trial. The gardens were re-designed last year and include an enabling garden as well as a new entry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Map to UT Gardens

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amazindirt(7A mid-TN)

And if you go visit the new water feature while you're there, you'll see the big koi I donated a coupla weeks ago. :-)

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 12:24AM
honeybunny442(z6 TN)

Thank you! I didn't have this one on my calendar.

We visited the gardens after the Arboretum and Ijams sales, our guest was impressed but I was a little sad. The big Eucalyptus tree was gone, and many of the garden beds were gone or weedy.

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 3:25PM
amazindirt(7A mid-TN)

I said many bad things to James when I saw that they had taken out those upper beds. He PROMISED me that they are putting new beds in, but it's still upsetting to see all the changes!

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 11:45PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I can still remember back in the old days when it seemed the UT Gardens were more about plants than whatever they are about now days. Hardscape is nice, but it needs plants to go with it. Some garden art is great, but tacky garden art is tacky. Lots of tacky garden art without plants looks even more tacky.

I'm still looking forward to seeing what they do this year. Maybe things have hit bottom and will improve from this point on. At least I hope that's what happens. FOG is doing a good job on their publications and newsletters. I got my quarterly newsletter a few days ago and thought it was one of my horticultural magazines at first glance.

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 11:14AM
amazindirt(7A mid-TN)

Well, I already know that they're putting in a new rose garden -- about 150 plants, I think -- as well as a bunch of dogwoods from Don Shadow. So it isn't ALL hardscape, but it's still stressful!

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 12:43PM
honeybunny442(z6 TN)

Thanks for the reminder!
I bought an Agave, some pretty Coleus ($2!) and some mints.
They had some nice big Azaleas but those were snapped up really fast.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
New Gardener Looking for Help :D
Hey guys, I'm just an average teenager looking to get...
GardenerLee
Williamson County Master Gardener Plant Sale and Garden Expo
Williamson County Master Gardner Association Invites...
bbhillarts
Composting Leaves
I have a huge pile of leaves, trying to speed up composting...
maternut
Evergreen trees with large leaves
I'm seeing them all around and wonder what they are?...
ryseryse_2004
plants to give away.
I live in Ringgold, GA near Chattanooga. I have some...
mrlynn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™