Celery in a SFG

kr222(6b)September 21, 2008

Has anyone tried to grow celery in a SFG? I'm considering my first attempt at growing celery (and square foot gardening) next season, but Mel's book doesn't address the topic of celery. Should I avoid growing it in a SFG then? I'm worried that the bed will dry out too quickly.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anniesgranny(6b)

Dan at Urban Veggie Garden Blog grew lovely celery. He blanched his by putting nursery pots, with the bottoms cut out, around each plant. He has photos posted on his blog, entries May 7, June 26, July 14 & 20, August 26 that I see, maybe more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dan's Excellent Blog

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 12:20PM
reba_nc(z 7)

I looked up celery on the FT2gardening website and planted accordingly. Looks great so far!

Here is a link that might be useful: plant spacings in a Ft2 garden

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 2:31PM
kr222(6b)

Reba,
Thanks for the website. I have Mel's book, but there are things left out. This site will help fill in some gaps.

Anniesgranny,
Thank you for directing me to Dan's Blog. I don't think I've ever seen such an awesome gardening blog before. So detailed with fantastic pictures. I wonder what kind of celery he grew, because it looked perfect. I love the pot idea. Simple to do and I always have lots of pots from the garden center that need a new purpose.

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 8:53AM
anniesgranny(6b)

kr222, why not leave a comment on his blog and ask him what kind? He's a great guy, you'll get an immediate answer.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 12:30PM
reba_nc(z 7)

This is my first season growing celery and I'm trying a red stalked variety because I read they were easier to grow and have a more intense flavor. They are quite ornamental too! John Scheepers has Redventure celery and Seeds of Change has a variety called Giant Red Stalk. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 11:58AM
kr222(6b)

Two celery cultivars in particular I am curious about are Tango and Tall Utah 52-70 Improved. Has anyone tried growing one of these cultivars? I'm interested in your impression of it. If you can think of a cultivar that you really enjoy growing I'd love to know what it is. Thanks.

Bookmark   September 26, 2008 at 8:34AM
More Discussions
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
First attempt at squire foot gardening
Hey everyone! I would like to thank this forum for...
citrusweekendwarrior
Weed Barrier
I was excited to find this forum. I started dabbling...
mtnrunner
Cold Weather Covers
I made a cover for a 4x4 box going off the instructions...
mtnrunner
Vermiculite Source List - Throughout USA
I had a hard time finding vermiculite, so I have compiled...
angela12345
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™