New SFG need advice

francoindSeptember 10, 2013

Will be retiring and moving to NC coast after first of the year. Have always farmed a large garden with tractor but now will be downsizing to SFG. I plan beds along the property line on the side closest to the house. The beds will be two feet wide and built out of some salt treated 2x6 that have weathered outside for 10 years and are in good shape. I expect that all leaching has already occurred. The soil under the beds is almost pure sand. Pines and Oak trees grow in it better that anything else so I know that it will need lime. I plan to add a lot of peat and mulch from old oak leaves. I need all suggestions that I can get. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bnoles(7)

The best advice I can offer is to get this book and read it thru. You will have a wonderful experience if you do.

http://www.amazon.com/Square-Foot-Gardening-Second-ebook/dp/B00BL62GU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380150270&sr=8-1&keywords=square+foot+gardening

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 7:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charlieboring

If I were you I would also add as much topsoil and sufficient manure that I can economically get. With your compost and the topsoil and manure mixed with the sand, the garden soil should be good to go.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Sub Irrigation Planter
I've read two ways to build these. One with gravel...
tedeboy
Using Miracle Gro Potting Mix in a Square Foot Bed
Turns out that courtesy of Costco, I can fill my bed...
GardeningHeidi
Vining plants and selection for beginner.
So glad to have found this resource! I am starting...
GreenFox
2nd year of SFG: what to do?
Hi all, 2nd year of SFG. Last year was 3, 4x4 beds....
Anthony
Watery soil under raised bed
Hey all, I am new to raised beds, just started construction...
jazz1234
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™