Whats wrong with these tomatoes? Pic included

zobot2000July 22, 2010

Hey garden community!

This is my first season growing tomatoes, and I'm so devastated. As you can see from the pics, something is eating away at the tomatoes. Most of the time they are big plump and green, and then when they start ripening, something starts "eating" (not an animal) them at the bottom, sides top, wherever.

We thought it was a fungus..and brokenheartedly bought some fungicide to spray on the previously organic tomatoes. So far, the fungicide hasn't done anything.

At this point, we'll try anything...just don't want to have wasted all that time and money and not actually be able to eat ANY of our tomatoes.

Any help is appreciated.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loloo(5b)

Slugs maybe??

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 10:55AM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Slugs usually are messier than that. 2nd from right looks like bird damage.

Definitely not a fungus. Something is chewing.

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 7:47PM
torquill(z9/sunset15 CA)

The one on the far right looks like some wound was made, then opportunistic molds or yeasts came in to start rotting the fruit from the wound. The second from the right does look like birds, and the second from the left looks like some other creature (mouse? caterpillar?) ate away at it. I can barely see anything wrong with the one in the middle, but it shares a bunch of dark spots on the skin with almost all the others.

Those spots, along with the tomato on the left, make me think about anthracnose. It's a fungus which overwinters on debris and in soil, which is spread by splashing water and encouraged by wetness. It has a wide range of temperatures it can infect in, and it'll affect red or green fruit.

Anthracnose can be managed by some of the same methods we recommend for taking care of early blight: clean up all tomato debris in the fall, mulch heavily in the spring, pick off diseased leaves, don't overhead irrigate (I know, you can't stop the rain :) ) and spray regularly with a fungicide such as Daconil. Rotation doesn't do much in a small yard, as the spores are airborne.

I hope that helps somewhat -- though you still need to figure out a solution for the animal pests. :)

--Alison

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 2:02AM
More Discussions
No tomatoes
First time this has ever happened. My tomato plant...
patti_june
Droopy Tomato leaves
Hi, I have noticed that my tomato leaves have started...
bopwinter
Need help with wilt
Since the ground is infected with the wilt and don't...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Yellow spots on leaves
Hi, I have several tomato plants that I started as...
jdftwrth
Help Identify my Uncle's Tomato pest
Hi all, I'm writing in behalf of my uncle who is not...
greengorilla2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™