More drip irrigation...

duhastSeptember 13, 2008

I found another type of hose.

My Home Depot is so stupid. Inthe sprinkler section, things are sorted by type AND brand. That means that not all the drip stuff is in one place....

I've shown some of my system with emitter hose. Well I found some "soaker" type hose that is porous it's entire length. I think this is better for my "water rings" and certainly some of the applications in my entire garden. Cheaper than the emitter hose too.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anniesgranny(6b)

duhast, I can't use the seeping type soaker hoses with our irrigation water. It won't even last a season before it's all plugged with sediment and algae (or whatever it plugs up with).

Where I ended up buying most of my drip stuff was either the Indian hardware store in Parker, AZ or Ace Hardware in Blythe, CA. They have a lot of tubing and stuff, but I have never seen the emitter hose at either place. I think I'll go to Lowes or Home Depot before I make the trip south, and just see what is available. I do want to be prepared to turn on the irrigation to the garden as soon as I get back next spring. What I want is just a rather large tubing with holes (emitters) every 6 inches, that can be coiled around some large shrubs and in the garden beds. That's quite different from the system I installed at my AZ home.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 11:15AM
duhast

Yeah, like in my earlier post, the 6" stuff I found is by Toro and is black with a blue stripe, and 1/4". Look at the label good, because their plain hose looks the same, black with the stripe. The emitter stuff is about $14 for 50 feet here in SoCal.

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 11:43AM
shebear(z8 NCentralTex)

Be careful about using it inline with the other emitters. It could lower the pressure because it releases water too fast. I also think that the end of soaker hose doesn't get as wet in a long run so be careful about that......it works great for rings.

The biggest trick to drip systems is using the knowing all the pluses and minuses of each part of the system and using them in the perfect setup.

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 3:15PM
anniesgranny(6b)

I can't foresee a pressure problem, as I have three different dedicated lines that are now providing water to three very big Rainbird impulse sprinklers. If need be, I can provide a fourth one. I might just end up with a bunch of the flat soaker hoses linked together (with Y connectors) with short sections of garden hose. Not very pretty, but probably less expensive.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 4:32PM
duhast

I'm cool on pressure, and certainly by the numbers. I've got two 8-outlet heads for a 16 square bed. Not going dedicated singles, but I could if I had to.

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
Lateral space for dripline irrigation in square foot garden?
Hello! I'm pretty new to square foot gardening and...
poppenschmaltz
First attempt at squire foot gardening
Hey everyone! I would like to thank this forum for...
citrusweekendwarrior
New to gardening and already disappointed in myself :(
I decided to make a raised bed garden and start growing...
cammie895
Mel's Mix versus 100% Compost
Hello all, I am starting some boxes for growing. I...
bsntech
Sub Irrigation Planter
I've read two ways to build these. One with gravel...
tedeboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™