pindo palms in zone 7?

tnwindmillMay 21, 2009

Anyone have experience with what it would take to overwinter a pindo in the Knoxville area? Have trachys, but would like to add a pindo or two if feasible. I thought maybe burlap and xmas lights around the trunk and a tarp would be enough to help it through, but have no first hand experience with pindos.

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amazindirt(7A mid-TN)

I have two big pindos -- but they are in pots. This past winter, I left them outside except for those nights that got below 20. And they were a BIG pain to drag inside and out!

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 9:53PM
cannahavana(z7a Knoxville)

We had a pindo once and we got lazy and didn't protect it the first winter and it croaked. I know there area few folks that post here that do have them, but haven't seen them post in awhile.

Rebecca

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 9:02AM
tnwindmill

Thanks guys. Rebecca-You said yours died without protection one winter, which I figured as much. I think Pindos are awesome, but wonder if I really want a species I have to worry about all the time. Supposedly, if I protect my trachys for the first 2 winters they will be very strong and cold hardy, so I hope that's the case. Don't guess I'll get a Pindo, b/c if you protect them while they're small enough, what do you do when they reach a size where good protection isn't really possible? My hopes are that my trachys can handle our winters with minimal or no protection after 2 winters.
dave

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
New to Knoxville
I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general....
freshvegetables
Project for Community Center
I just recently became aware of an opportunity to help...
forthechildren
Composting Leaves
I have a huge pile of leaves, trying to speed up composting...
maternut
Memphis Area Master Gardeners Spring Fling 2015
Memphis Area Master Gardeners Kick-Off the 2015 Gardening...
barbcull
Williamson County Master Gardener Plant Sale and Garden Expo
Williamson County Master Gardner Association Invites...
bbhillarts
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™