Curled, Gnarled leavesTomato Plants

chumledoJuly 16, 2010

I live in Central New Jersey and am experiencing leaf curl problems with 4 out of my 6 tomato plants.

They are suffering from varying degrees of leaf curl primarily affecting the new growth at the top of the plant. The same leaves also have a very leathery appearance to them.

I believe the cause to be environmental due to the extremely hot and dry weather we had (I did water daily those days) and has been further exasperated by the drenching rains the past few days.

I haven't seen any insect activity on my plants. Interestingly enough, 2 of my pepper plants are also exhibiting the same symptoms.

I was just wondering if anybody else in the Central New Jersey is experiencing the same difficulties with their garden this year.

FYIÂMy radishes, cucumbers and swiss chard are doing fantastic.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Pix is *very* small & challenging to see details. Even so, I suspect weed killer damage used somewhere nearby.

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 11:24PM
torquill(z9/sunset15 CA)

I'd agree (on both the comment on the picture and the likely diagnosis). If it's affecting 2/3 of your tomato plants and a couple of peppers, yet the cucumbers are okay, that rather rules out cucumber mosaic virus; that would be the most likely virus to make curly leathery leaves which are also quite green. If it were widespread enough in your yard to affect that many plants, though, it should have spread to the cucumbers.

On the other hand, Solanums (tomatoes, pepper, eggplant, potato) are far more susceptible to the broadleaf weed killer 2,4-D than cucurbits, brassicas, or Betas. They'd be the first to show symptoms. Look to your yard and your neighbor's yard -- Weed & Feed can drift when sprayed or evaporate in high temperatures.

They may grow out of it if it's not severe, but if they don't start growing well within two weeks or so, I'd say you're out of luck. You might root a few shoots off of the tomato plants that seem to be doing all right, just in case.

--Alison

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 10:28PM
davey_gardener

i have these exact symptoms. Did you ever figure out what it was, and did the tomatoes recover?

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 5:30PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

As was said, it's herbicide damage, most likely 2,4-D, possibly dicamba.

Whether or not it recovers depends upon how big a dose the plant received. Only time will tell.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 8:53PM
sunnytop

Herbicide damage? I don't hardly think so in my case. I have a pepper plant and tomato plant in a protected place, no herbicides in our yard. It's in the middle surrounded by tall perennials that would block any drift from afar. I am thinking it must be a virus thriving by environmental conditions this year. Been gardening a long time and never seen this on my plants. We had a really freaky winter and spring this year.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
Need help with wilt
Since the ground is infected with the wilt and don't...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
Help with my Tomato Plant
Hello, I need some help with my tomato plant. About...
arti_asharma
Tomato Leaves Turning Blackish
I planted my tomatoes from seeds two months ago. They...
tomatodad
Tomato Wilt
Which Heirloom varieties are wilt resistant
oldgardenguy_zone6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™