Is this a tomato worm?

future_farmerJuly 20, 2006

It showed up on my front door a few days ago and I'm not sure what it is. I thought it looked kind of like a tomato worm when I looked at it, but I'm not sure. It doesn't have any horns, so I'm not sure that it is. The odd thing is that I don't have any tomatoes this year. Well, I have one tomato that my mom bought from a nursery, but it has probably died by now because it didn't get planted; it's nowhere near my front door, though. I couldn't get a better picture because the next day it turned into this.

That is a cocoon, right? I don't know what else it would be. I'm sorry if I've posted this on the wrong forum; I'm just trying to figure out what this little bug is or was.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
huachuma

Not a Tobacco or Tomato Hornworm... As you noted, it doesn't have the "horns" and it also appears to have sparse hairs which would also rule out the possibility. Hornworms also generally pupate under soil or leaf litter and don't hang their "cocoons" like your specimen has...

Mike

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 4:53PM
torquill(z9/sunset15 CA)

Keep it in a jar with cheesecloth across the top, and see what it hatches out into. :)

It doesn't look like any of the caterpillars I know of.

--Alison

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 10:35PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

White cabbage butterfly. AKA imported white cabbageworm. The caterpillars specialize on crucifers (cabbage family).

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
P.Brandywine bumpy soft ,green curling leaves
Firstly, I'm a raw newbie. Please forgive any faux...
sproutling
What's term for woven plants? Can tomatoes be woven?
In landscaping I've seen pictures of plants that are...
albert_135
What is this?
What is causing this on my tomatoes? Pests? Bugs?
kyleindebary
Help Pls! Tomato branches falling off
Hi all - A few weeks ago I started to notice a marginal...
jhamoud
Tomato Wilt
Which Heirloom varieties are wilt resistant
oldgardenguy_zone6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™