Even after rain / water - upper leaves still wilting -

tomstrees(z6 NJ)July 11, 2005

can I just prune these brances off ? throw away - and hope for new growth ? Some of the bottom leaves are turning yellow - the wilt on top is whats bothering me - its only on the commercial yellow pear (that i bought ) that i grew from seed - the other yellow pear plants that i grew from seed i saved from last year are completely fine -

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bananalover(GA z7b)

Seems to me it could be a couple of things, one some tomatoes just tend to wilt in the middle of the day, see if it is wilting when it is cooler out, 2 you had a late frost that got the plant tips, or 3 you are over watering.
You could prune them and they would grow again or just leave them a little longer and see if they recover after you check the three things above.

Bookmark   July 11, 2005 at 6:43PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

tom,

Is perhaps your ground waterlogged from all the rain we've received lately? I ask b'c with waterlogged soils the plants can't get oxygen or nutrients and so wilt and then the leaves turn yellow.

Also, Yellow Pear is quite susceptible to Early BLight ( A. solani) but you haven't described any lesions on the leaves that go a long with that, and EB doesn't show wilting anyway, as a symptom.

But if we're talking just this yellow Pear and the others of the same variety are fine right now then perhaps one might start thinking about a seedborne disease.

Are all the Yellow Pears being grown in the exact same area and receiving the exact same treatment?

Carolyn

Bookmark   July 11, 2005 at 7:55PM
tomstrees(z6 NJ)

Are all the Yellow Pears being grown in the exact same area and receiving the exact same treatment?

they are all in a row in the back of my garden Carolyn; the ones on the left are ok - the ones on the right ? not so good - i have spotted new growth on one of the ones i "trimmed" - but the other is rapidly declining - i was wondering if i should keep pruning the wilted leaves ? or just pull them ~ Tom

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
tomatoes
a little green like fly is hammering my crop for the...
westy54
What is this
Is this septoria leaf spot, bacterial speck or early...
lubadub
Need help with wilt
Since the ground is infected with the wilt and don't...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Tomato Leaf curl
I'm having problems with my Beefsteak tomatoes. The...
DoctorAche
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™