Tomato Wilting?

herbalcroftJuly 17, 2013

This year we chose a tomato variety called Nyagous for our container garden. Everything was growing very well until our temperatures soared in the 90's. The tops of this variety only (planted with several other varieties) wilted. At first we thought it was because the containers were dry, but after thoroughly watering, the tops of the plants did not fully recover.

We investigated the variety "Nygous" and found out that it comes from Russia and may not be a good choice in hot climates. We live in Maine and of course never expected to have such hot weather. In any case, we're concerned hoping it's just that this variety can't stand the hot weather versus some sort of wilt. Any have problems with this particular variety? Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

If the water immediately runs out the bottom of the container, it didn't moisten the potting mix.

So if the above occurred, either soak the container in a deep bucket for max of 20 minutes -- longer kills roots.

If the above isn't possible due to plant an/or pot size, set a trickling hose on the surface for 5 minutes or so to re-wet the potting mix.

Oh yes, what size is the pot? Is it big enough for the plant?

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
New Forum Sucks
Why is it when you have something great someone comes...
hoosier318
What is this?
What is causing this on my tomatoes? Pests? Bugs?
kyleindebary
Wilting Tomato Plant
I am growing several types of heirloom tomato plants...
awestruck
Tomato Wilt
Which Heirloom varieties are wilt resistant
oldgardenguy_zone6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™