Late Blight? - please help diagnose (photo attached)

heavymetaJuly 26, 2009

Would love help trying to figure out what is happening with my tomatoes (early girl bush - seedling purchased at locally-owned nursery) - EVERY tomato is developing these weird black spots on their bottom side as they ripen - and are black inside... Is this the dreaded "'late blight" that has been in the news? It also resembles the "blossom end rot" pictures I have seen a bit too, though the spots are not sunken, as that is described... Thoughts???

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edwena0316(4MN)

i don't have an answer but i have a similar problem. My big tomatoes [dont remember variety] have this they are grown in buckets with a mix of potting soil and garden soil with added continuous release fertilizer. Big gorgeous plants with ugly tomatoes. What is it???

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 9:45PM
bcday(z5 NY)

It's the beginning stages of Blossom End Rot. The spot doesn't become sunken until later, when the fruit begins to ripen. Then the affected area not only becomes sunken, it also turns dry and leathery.

If it were Late Blight you'd also have black spots on the leaves and stems of the plant by the time you got fruits that looked like that.

One of my plants a few years ago also had almost every fruit affected by BER. None of the plants surrounding it had any BER at all. Weird.

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 1:06AM
jtcm05(Zone 6 CT)

That is not BER. Not sure what it is though. Maybe the results of sunscald.

Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 11:45AM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Ummm. Yes it is BER. Just hasn't turned black as yet.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 1:20AM
jtcm05(Zone 6 CT)

if you say so jean.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 7:00AM
parkville(8)

I also have blight/BEM - but only on 1 of 4 plants that are next to each other and close together. Any way to save any of the tomatoes on the problem plant? Can it spread to other plants? Should I just cut down the blighted plant? Had a similar problem last year with 1 of 6 tomatoes, checked soil at end of last growing season and beginning of this one and no measurable deficits. Fortunately, my sweet 100's and early girls are out producing anything I've grown in the past! Any ideas for solving the solitary blighted plant problem much appreciated.

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 4:11PM
rkd80

This is most likely BER, besides - if it were indeed late blight, then it would be on the top of the tomato, not the bottom.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
What is this
Is this septoria leaf spot, bacterial speck or early...
lubadub
black spots on tomatoes
HI, As my wife and I are sitting hear having a cup...
dennyida
Droopy Tomato leaves
Hi, I have noticed that my tomato leaves have started...
bopwinter
Help with my Tomato Plant
Hello, I need some help with my tomato plant. About...
arti_asharma
Can you identify what's happening to my Celebrity Tomato?
Just planted my celebrity tomato into a raised garden....
sabinre
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™