Visit to the beautiful Belmont Gardens

tn_veggie_gardner(7)May 20, 2009

My daughter Emily had her dance class recital practice earlier this afternoon at a theatre on the Belmont campus. We were lucky enough afterwards (mainly hanging out to avoid rush hour...lol) to be able to walk around campus. They have soooo many beautiful statues, rose gardens, fountains, etc...and to think, we only saw a small piece of it! Here are some pics I took while we were there. I took them with my phone, so they might not be awesome quality, but they're not blurry. =)

I have no idea what this is, but I like it!

Beautiful.

Peace - Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
connietn

Steve, is that not the most beautiful campus ever?!?! :D I love it too. We did a photo shoot for Nashville Chamber there a few years ago, at the fountain. It was just breathtaking. Oddly, not five minutes ago someone was in my office and we were talking about that picture. Then I come here, and there is the fountain!

That first picture is Lamb's Ear, I believe. Spreads like crazy, but fuzzy-fun if you have the room!

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 11:11AM
tn_veggie_gardner(7)

Connie: Yes, it is! =) I consciously must admit that when I noticed that Rose garden and went over there, seeing that each Rose bush had 40-50+ blooms (just open ones!) on them, I may have "grabbed some cuttings" from two of them ;-) I just hope they grow...lol...any tips to help me with my mischief? They're sitting in Asprin water on my porch right now and looked a lot better this morning (after 3 hours sitting in the truck).

- Steve

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 12:59PM
connietn

Steve, I am thinking of experimenting with rooting things too! I just bought some Root Tone powder at lunch! I have never done this before, so I am no help to you.

I am going to try to root willow cuttings, which should be pretty easy according to what I'm reading. I have some Nishiki Willows I'd like to bring to the fall swap.

I think you should get some Root Tone powder and try it. :) I don't know if your roses had been sitting out too long, though...I think it is best to have them in their medium pretty quickly after cutting. But hey, what the heck, you never know! And if you have the powder you'll be ready for next time. :)

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 4:43PM
april_h_o(Z6 Nashville)

The way I've found that works best for rooting rose cuttings is to put them in a pot with good soil and some rooting compound on them and then put the top off a 2-liter coke bottle over them (sort of like a cheap terrarium). You put this in a spot that doesn't get direct sun, keep it moist (but not wet) and usually, in about a month, you'll see new leaves.

It helps to leave three buds below the surface of the soil -these will convert from leaf buds to roots. Generally, though, roses won't root in water, as is true of most woody-stemmed plants.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 9:51PM
tngreenthumb(z6 TN)

The best way to root roses is to bend over a cane and pile some dirt and a rock on it. Layering.

Hard to do that in someone else's garden though. *grin*

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 11:35AM
More Discussions
New Gardener Looking for Help :D
Hey guys, I'm just an average teenager looking to get...
GardenerLee
plants to give away.
I live in Ringgold, GA near Chattanooga. I have some...
mrlynn
Thin Tall Evergreen?
Hi all, I'm a new gardener living in TN. I'm looking...
linkjg
Japanese Maple Autumn Moon
I would like to know if anyone knows of a nursery in...
alan_ill
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™