Collard spacing

wdatampaSeptember 17, 2006

I can't find any info on collard spacing. I'm trying to figure out if I have the room, but, as I have never grown them, I am not sure what to expect.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gumby_ct(CT it says Z5)

Like I know where 9b is? OH Tampa?
Maybe one day I can move to Tampa, FL, so I can garden, well most year round,right?

I have grown mine at 1/sqft. I wouldn't grow any closer.
If they do well, you will want to support them with those usless tomato cages, finally a use for the cages.

Good Luck,
Gumby_CT

Bookmark   September 18, 2006 at 12:44AM
wdatampa

Yep Tampa.

I started my fall seeds about a month ago and was considering a few collards, space permitting. I do have a few tomato cages sitting around. Thanks!
Veggie gardening in the middle of the summer is tough. Okra and peppers are about all that will survive.

Bookmark   September 18, 2006 at 8:19AM
gijane

Yup,

I'd do 1 per square. I planted some a couple years back before I discovered SFG. In my "traditional" Garden, they did grow large! Oh but they are so so yummy.

Good luck,

GI Jane

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 1:35PM
chrislyn(z7 AL USA)

I did Vates 4 per square foot, and my Georgia Collards like cucumbers (2 per square). I started my Georgia Collards at 4 per square, but 2 in each square ended up getting harvested whole due to crowding. I did 4 squares and have gotten two harvests from them so far by cutting back all but the center two baby leaves, and they are still growing. Now that cooler weather is coming in, I am about to plant 5 more squares. I LOVE COLLARDS.

Bookmark   October 11, 2006 at 6:35PM
catlover_gardener

I bought some collard transplants, and put them in containers-3 & 5 gall pots. I put 3 to 4 in one pot in potting MG potting soil. Now after reading some of the emails, I wonder if these pots are big enough. I am nervous about spacing. Will they thrive. I watered with MG-Tomato. They are Vates Georgia collards.

Bookmark   January 11, 2008 at 9:48PM
magnolias4ever(8b)

I planted Collards last fall -- I planted 4 per square. But, I don't wait for mine to completely mature.... I start harvesting leaves off and just leave maybe 2 leaves on the plant.... then when they grow more leaves again, I harvest those leaves... so the plants never really get that big in my garden LOL I think I'm a bit impatient LOL

Judy

Here is a link that might be useful: Ft2Garden.com

Bookmark   January 11, 2008 at 10:20PM
gumby_ct(CT it says Z5)

Came here looking for spacing for Collards. Got it - now I'm good to go. Hope this Gumby guy knows what he's talking about.

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 9:12PM
lingo3

my collard bolted on me within 2 weeks of planting what did i do wrong

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
2nd year of SFG: what to do?
Hi all, 2nd year of SFG. Last year was 3, 4x4 beds....
Anthony
Safe insecticide: Olive Oil, Dish Soap, Water
I'm going to try a safe insecticide first before going...
travelsfo
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
Looking for bloggers
I am looking for folk interested in writing about square...
Andrew_Green
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™