Stunted growth/ Colored Leaves, What's missing?

WestchesterGrower(Lower NY)July 31, 2005

I noticed the onset of these leaves a month back, but thought nothing of it. Well, I actually posted the problem, but got no responses. And while it took me a while to realize it, my plants have really been slow in growing. Definitely stunted growth. And I have never had that problem before. In fact, its usually the opposite. I get bushy plants, but no tomatoes until mid Augest. This year we are getting tomatoes, but the plants have stopped growing at 3-4 ft (better boys). They don't seem as strong as usual either.

I gave them 5-10-10 2 weeks after I put them in the ground and when I started getting a lot of smaller tomatoes (month and half back). And when I saw the dis-coloration of leaves I gave them Ironcide and Peters fertilizer hoping it would make them grow a bit and fix the deficiency. But nothing has helped on either front.

http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/7251/tomatoepics0033go.jpg

Please, what is wrong? It is driving me nuts.

Thanks so much for the help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suze9(z8b Bastrop Co., TX)

Ironcide? You mean Ironite, I think.

does the yellowing go all the way up the plant in a random fashion, or is it primarily concentrated at the bottom?

Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 1:58AM
WestchesterGrower(Lower NY)

While a lot of that particular type of yellowing is at the bottom, even the top leaves are discolored to a degree at this point. I will take a pic of them today to show.

I figured if it was a mineral/ nutriant deficiency, the Ironide or Peters would have helped.

Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 6:47AM
nanelle_gw(9/Sunset 14)

I don't know it's related to the yellowing, but I see some spider mite damage. Is it hot and dry?

Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 1:52PM

It was fairly dry and hot for a few weeks. Thanks for info on the mites.

Still no takers on the leaves? I figued it would be fairly easy to see.

Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 8:21PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Looks like classic yellow blotchy Powdery Mildew to me.

I didn't know where to post since you also posted this in the main forum, as I recall, and I'm trying hard not to answer disease questions there. Sigh,

Your Daconil should help a lot.

Do check out the pictures of Powdery Mildew to convince yourself.

There are two fungi that cause PM on tomatoes and the one you want to look at is the Leveillula one, not the Oidium one which has white fuzz on the leaves,

Carolyn

Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 8:46PM

Wow Carolyn...I only thought there was the one type of PM- That you often see on Zinnias..lol. You learn something new everyday! Thanks

I took a look on google and it does look similar-
http://www.apsnet.org/online/Archive/2000/tom23a.JPG
If anything, the pics on google make the disease seem more concentrated on the leaves, but I am sure it is what I have.

Sorry about posting the previous one in the other forum.

Yeah, I have been spraying the daconil every 5-7 days, but have seen little to no improvement. Hopefully it turns around soon. (Also a related question- Will Daconil residue on leaves hurt them at all)?

Will the powdery mildew on the tomatoes result in stunted growth like I have seen or is that something else? Also, will PM take out the whole plants?

Thanks!

Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
Wilting Tomato Plant
I am growing several types of heirloom tomato plants...
awestruck
Tomato Pests & Diseases
Home-grown tomatoes are a source of pride, a thing...
priyaspageo
No tomatoes
First time this has ever happened. My tomato plant...
patti_june
New Forum Sucks
Why is it when you have something great someone comes...
hoosier318
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™