Needle palm question

myrtleoak(z7 TN)May 1, 2007

Am I the only one that has a slow growing needle? When I got mine it was just a pup from Plant Delights 4 years ago. I am only now starting to see a noticable increase in size. How many years to a decent sized specimen?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christnpalm

Hello, Myrtle!
I'd say it depends on how you're growing it. If you have it in full mid day sun it will probably always be compact and dense. If it has mid day shade it will grow taller and pup less so it will put more energy into growing up vs. out. I'd say give another 4 or 5 years they do start to pick up mass a bit more quickly as they age. Also, if it's in a sheltered warm spot like against a wall etc. it will grow a bit faster. I forgot and left one in my greenhouse over the summer last year. It probably grew 4 or 5 inches and it developed palmate leaves. The other one I forgot became a crispy critter so.....
Anyway good luck fellow tn palm grower.
:)
Chris

Bookmark   May 5, 2007 at 1:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
intimidator_3(7a TN)

I cant tell you how long its been there, but if you want to see probably the biggest Needle in Tennessee, then you should go to Tanager Ln. in west Knoxville. This was the residence of the late Dr. Frank Galyon who recently passed away. At the entrance to his driveway, which is at the end of this cul-de-sac, you will find around a 8 ft tall speciman. Its awesome to see something like that in Tennessee.

Doug

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 9:16PM
More Discussions
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
Help with Knockout Roses
I have lost 4 mature Knockout Roses, about 10 years...
neil64
**** Spring 2015 East Tennessee Plant Swap ****
The Spring 2015 East Tennessee Plant Swap will be held...
brandon7 TN_zone
Grading/Leveling recommendations
We're looking to grade and landscape our backyard,...
elsten
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™