Mysterious fungus besetting ripe tomatoes

blue_canaryJuly 25, 2010

The initial batch of tomatoes I picked from my garden were small but lovely. Now, though, as soon as they start to ripen many of the tomatoes are developing blotches that sprout fungus while either still on the vine or shortly after being brought indoors. I'm not sure what it is, but it's forcing me to use my picked tomatoes quicker than I'd like.

At least some of the blotching can be attributed to the fact that the tomatoes bruise and split within two to three of sitting on the counter. I rest them stems-up usually; should I be resting them stems down, a seen here?

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Do your plants trail on the ground? If so, likely a post-harvest rot which was initiated while still on the plant.

If that's the case, the remedy is to tie them up. If not possible this year, remember to do so next season.

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 6:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blue_canary

They're all caged, though the weight of the fruit has started to yank some cages up due to the cage being a bit puny. The plants these came from are all standing tall and the fruit came from the upper third of the plant.

I've had problems with stinkbugs; could they be the cause? I have to go and knock them off of the fruit every morning and afternoon. I didn't think they caused fungal damage though, just cosmetic.

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
P.Brandywine bumpy soft ,green curling leaves
Firstly, I'm a raw newbie. Please forgive any faux...
sproutling
Can you identify what's happening to my Celebrity Tomato?
Just planted my celebrity tomato into a raised garden....
sabinre
Tomato Leaves Turning Blackish
I planted my tomatoes from seeds two months ago. They...
tomatodad
What's term for woven plants? Can tomatoes be woven?
In landscaping I've seen pictures of plants that are...
albert_135
What is this
Is this septoria leaf spot, bacterial speck or early...
lubadub
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™