Mountain Merit

randy41_1January 14, 2014

has anyone grown these and care to comment on them? they are a disease resistant red determinate. i'd like to know how productive they are and how they taste.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

I had to laugh a bit when I saw your user name since it was Dr, Randy Gardner at NCSU who bred that variety, see the link below.

You don't indicate where you grow tomatoes so I don't know if any of the tolerances, no resistances, would be helpful where you are.

Randy, whom I know, developed a series of varieties with Mountain as the first name.

No, I haven't grow it, but have grown his Mountain Magic, Plum Regal and Smarty ones recently.

He's retired now but still breeding tomatoes and has been and is, spending more time using certain heirloom varieties as parents to increase taste in his recent ones, not yet released as far as I know.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search; Mountain Merit

This post was edited by carolyn137 on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 21:05

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 9:00PM
keith100_gw(NY 5A)

I too have grown the Mountain Magic. I enjoyed them very much as snackers as I was working in the garden. They are small and I am also wondering about the Mountain Merits. I hope some one has tried them. If they grow as good, and taste as good as the MM'S I'm in!

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 9:37PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Only tried them one season when they first became available. Not impressed with size, production, or taste.

JMO

Dave

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 10:22PM
randy41_1

i m interested in this variety because of its late blight resistance. i grow for market in the blue ridge mountains of southwest va, late blight will keep me from growing tomatoes outside unless i find another way. this variety was recommended in the webinar i watched yesterday on late blight.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 4:49AM
farmerdill

I don't have late blight, but TSWV is a plague in this area, so I tried Mountain Merit for its TSWV resistance. Similar to the other Mountain series in size and taste and does have resistance to TSWV. Tastewise just below Amelia and bella Rosa among the TSWV varieties that I have tried.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 8:35AM
More Discussions
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
What are you growing for 2015?
Hi all! I'm a fairly new gardener (this will be my...
sarcastichousewife
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™